Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5510 / Remote Access VPN / Speed issue

ephillips12
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

I'm having an issue with an ASA 5510 and a Remote Access VPN setup. The VPN Client can connect fine, and after that it can connect to the servers behind the ASA with no problems and no speed issues.

However, when the user tries to connect to something outside of the split-tunnel (such as google.com, yahoo.com, cisco.com, etc) it is extremely slow. Pages that take 1-2 seconds to load take 30 seconds to load. This traffic isn't going through the ASA at all so I don't understand why it would be affected. But the moment the user disconnects from the VPN Client, speed to external sites is restored.

This makes me feel like it's a MTU or Speed/Duplex problem on one end. The MTU of the ASA's outside interface is 1500, and the interaces are 100/Full (I'm working on an upgrade for the ASA that will apparently unlock the FastEthernet ports to GigE ports).

Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Damon Cassell
Level 1
Level 1

Is throughput low to non-tunnel sites (easily tested with an FTP connection or one of those DSL speed test sites) or are connection startups slow? Two distinct scenarios, and not clear from your post.

The latter could indicate a DNS issue with requests coming down the tunnel, perhaps?

Sorry for the delay.

I did some additional investigation and found that this issue was related only to users of Microsoft Vista SP1. After that, I read around about some issues that Service Pack 1 for Vista had on the Cisco VPN client. I uninstalled the VPN Client on each machine having the problem and installed the latest version and it fixed the problem.

Thanks for your help anyways.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card