CCNP and little experience?

Unanswered Question
Aug 24th, 2008

I have passed my CCNA and now halfway through finishing my CCNP. I have a real passion networking but I'm really struggling to find a job that will take me on with little experience. I live in Sydney and work as a desktop support engineer. I hope to finish my CCNP next year and I hope it will be worthwhile. Can anyone give some advice on how to make the move into the networking field?

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Overall Rating: 3.7 (7 ratings)
ross_rulz Sun, 08/24/2008 - 22:34

Hi mate,

Its really hard to get into networking without any experience but you should never give up. I was like you once and I only had a CCNA at the time and no experience but a junior cisco engineer job came up and I got it. I think the best thing to do is get in touch with as many companies as possible that have cisco gear and send off your resume.

Tell them in your covering letter you are passionate about networking and they will see this as you are going for your CCNP. Also maybe try and offer your networking skills to charities or volunteer places. Dont excpect to get any money from these places its the experience that is key.

Another place you might want to try is some local governments. They usually dont pay the best but again its the experience you are after. The thing to remember is never give up and always believe in yourself.

HTH

Regards,

Ross.

jim_berlow Mon, 08/25/2008 - 13:27

I think Ross has covered this very well and I agree with him. One other idea - try getting involved with a local Cisco user's group. I know in my area there are very few Cisco postings and we generally refer individuals that we have met at those group meetings. Remember that personal relationships go a long way in this industry. You might even see if you can volunteer to teach the CCNA / CCNP class for that user's group to get your name known.

Good Luck!

Jim

nadalino73 Wed, 09/03/2008 - 17:52

If you are a doing desktop support currently, and have little/none networking experience, your CCNP will do nothing for you - other than eat into your bank account. the CCNP is very wishy washy IMO...i did mine about 8yrs ago - and it brought me very little value. My thoughts would be to get a CCNA, even CCDA - then just raed, learn, lab, get exp. and if you are still interested in networking as a career path, and have a job where you are constantly exposed networking, go for the CCIE.

Sounds harsh - but dont depend on a paper cert to automagically open doors for you. They wont.

FYI - i had the CCNP and had done the CCIE written around 8yrs ago. Have been in the industry for about 15yrs.

JORGE RODRIGUEZ Wed, 09/03/2008 - 19:27

Andrew, geting into the networking field or I should say in any field is a combination of may factors, one very important factor is your positive actitude and good will, perhaps many may disagree, but here I am ..a musician who with positive actitude brought me to the networking world.. there should be companies where you are who will be willing to take Junior network engineers or entry level assiting the network group..that is where you start. Not that CCNA CCNP will get you the job but will help the cause, again your positive actitude in phone or person interviews will count.

I would recommend that you conduct simulation labs and read forum threads on a daily basis if you can, keeping up with the technology will definately help in your interviews and contribute in landing you a job in networking.

Good luck

Jorge

cisco24x7 Thu, 09/04/2008 - 07:55

You need to keep the followings in mind:

1- Anyone can learn networking. If you can

pick-up a bood and read, you can do a networking

job. Simple as that.

2- It definitely help if you have an engineering

background but it not required.

3- have a positive attitude,

4- try to pass the CCIE lab, if possible, even

if you have little or no experience. This

shows prospective employer you have the

commitment and the desire to be an excellent

engineer. Others may call you a "lab rat" but

who care what others think. You may be their

boss someday.

5- Learn other networking technologies besides

Cisco such as Juniper, Checkpoint, Aventail,

etc...

6- Last but not least, do not give up.

Somewhere out there, someone will give you

an opportunity to succeed.

Tony.henry Thu, 09/18/2008 - 15:08

Andy,

Does the company you work for have a network team? Let the senior engineers and managers know that you are CCNA and want some experience, be dogged about getting that experience. It would probably be a good idea to let your supervisor/manager know that you'd like to do something else and see if they can help you as well.

I generally don't think its a good idea to keep going after certificates without the experience to back it up. Because as you go up the certificate tree, you'll want more money.

Tony

Actions

This Discussion