cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IF GSS can work with IP not VIP?

julxu
Level 1
Level 1

Could any one advice me if GSS 4420R load balance for two IP addresses not VIP in CSS?

I do not have CNR, if CNR installed can we do load balance on IP?

Any comments will be appreciated

Thanks in advance

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

With CSS/CSM you can use KAL-AP keepalive to get the VIP's load from CSS/CSMs.

In case of NON-Cisco LBs or any host then you can get Load information using SNMP Probe.

Obviously the third-party device/ host need to have SNMP MIB that can report load related info.

Thanks

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

With GSS you can probe any ip (VIP or Server IP) to check its availability. With Pre 2.0 code you could only check the availability of the Server IP (where as With KAL-AP configured on CSS/CSM/ACE you could also get Load information about the VIP).

With 2.0+ code you can also use SNMP probe from GSS. These probes can also calculate load from Non-Cisco Loadbalancers (Like F5/Foundary/Alteon where KAL-AP is not supported) and Servers , provided the servers you are probing support Load related MIB entry .

CNR has nothing to do with LB. Its simply make GSS act like a DNS server (makes it serve non-A records ). Without CNR, GSS can only serve A-records.

Thanks

Syed

great thanks for reply.

my machine is :

>sh ver

Global Site Selector (GSS)

Model Number: GSS-4492-k9

Copyright (c) 1999-2007 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Version 2.0(2)

Uptime: 58 Days 15 Hours 53 Minutes and 26 seconds

so, I should be able to use serverIP, not VIP.

however, when I go to web, the anwer is only VIP no IP address availible. do I did anything wrong?

please advice

VIP is just one of the available three answer types (others being "Name server" & "CRA").

VIP answer type usage is not limited for VIPs only.It can be used for Web Server/ Cache server and for that matter any device with an ip associated with it.

VIP answer type simply returns an "IP address" against a DNS name query.

"Name server" answer type returns DNS server address thta can answer queries that GSS cannot resolve (a kind of last resort thing).

CRA Answer type relies on Content routing agents to help GSS provide proximity based answers.

Just think of VIP answer type as "IP" or "A record" answer type and it will clear the confusion.

In a nutshell GSS is an intelligent (but limited provided CNR is not installed -- as it can serve only A records )DNS server that probes the servers/LBs to check their availability/proximity & LOAD and serves IP addresses of the appropriate resources. So it can probe not only LBs but any IP based resources.

HTH

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Thousands thanks, yes, I can do it.

But, how to I measure the load? If the two server's load is different, can I configure base on the load? And also, I can not use least loaded method?

Please advice

With CSS/CSM you can use KAL-AP keepalive to get the VIP's load from CSS/CSMs.

In case of NON-Cisco LBs or any host then you can get Load information using SNMP Probe.

Obviously the third-party device/ host need to have SNMP MIB that can report load related info.

Thanks

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: