Views
Helpful
Replies

NM-16ESW-1G1G module installed on router

amino1982
Level 1
Level 1

Hello ,

when installed a NM-16ESW module on cisco 3745 router ,the ports are considered switch ports ,because i got a msg:"% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links." when i tried to give IP address for an interface on the module.

so , i created a VLAN 2 interface and assigned it an IP and added switchport to this VLAN 2.

am i doing right???

7 Replies 7

faisal_ghaus
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

You can configure each interface for routing with no switchport command

Conf t

interface x/x

no switchport

this is the easieast way

Hi

unfortunately ,this didn't work well on cisco 3745 router ,it does not accept the command "no switchport " ->incomplete command . I issued the command "no switchport mode" and "no switchport access vlan1"

but also it gives the same message that can't configure IP on L2 interfaces !!

Amin

According to the Etherswitch Q&A your module should support routed ports. The HWIC's don't, they need to have vlan interfaces created but that is not what you have

Q. Can I configure the switch interfaces as Layer 3 ports?

A. The Cisco EtherSwitch network module and service module interfaces can be configured directly as Layer 3, or routed, ports by using the no switchport command and assigning an IP address directly to the port. Cisco Switchports on the HWIC do not support Layer 3 addresses natively; they must be assigned to a SVI and use a VLAN interface for Layer 3. Every switch port can be assigned to a unique VLAN, up to 15 VLANs maximum.

So it's a bit confusing as to why it doesn't work. Have a look at the following link (if you haven't already) for more info

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5855/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028d15f_ps5854_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Alternatively in answer to your question you can

1) Create the vlan in the vlan database

2) Create a L3 vlan interface for that vlan

3) Assign switchports into that vlan.

The fact that you also cannot use the "switchport access vlan ..." command suggests however you may be in the wrong mode.

Are you sure you are configuring from the interface level ?

Jon

Hello,

see below ....

(config)#interface fastEthernet 4/1

(config-if)#no switchport

% Incomplete command.

(config-if)#no switchport MODE

(config-if)#no switchport access vlan 1

(config-if)#ip address 10.10.10.1255.255.255.0

% IP addresses may not be configured on L2 links.

//////////////////////////////

now i defined VLAN2 and assigned it an IP address and added the port as follws:

(conf-IF)#switchport access Vlan2

i see the interface up/up but the VLAN is up/down what is the status ?

Did you create vlan 2 in the vlan database ?

Hi

No, i just created it as interface , how to do this ,and please what is all the necessary so that my interface becomes have an IP and UP/UP?

Thnx

Hello

Finally ,it worked

what i did is true

just define a VLAN ,assign it an ip address

and add this port to that VLAN

it is OK !

Thnx all for help

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card