WLC to use Management Interface & Few more getting started Questions

Answered Question
Aug 24th, 2008

Hello,

I'm yet to implement the Wireless LAN in one of our client's corporate office. There 40 x 1130AG LWAPP AP's and 4404 WLC with ACS 4.x for the Authentication of the Wireless Clients who is trying to access the LAN.

For the WLC to connect to the Dual Core Switch, i need to use only one Management Interface with Distribution System port 1 being the Primary and mapping the DS Port 2 as the Backup port for the Management Interface. Is this Right? or do i have configure Dynamic Interfaces as well. Is management interface for accessing / management and configuration only? Management Interface will communicate with ACS for AAA and AP's who would like to associate with the WLC, is this Right?

Note: WLC, AP's, Wireless Clients & AP's are in the same IP Subnet.

Few other question of WLAN's so it helps me during implementation -

• Can I use the 802.1x Authentication application found in the Windows XP for the Wireless Interface; instead of Cisco Client Application. For this; I have to configure the WLC / Wireless Client to use EAP algorithm; is this Right?

• With the help of RRM, the channel interference between multiple AP's (3 - 4 AP's) in the same area is controlled by the WLC by changing the Channels used by the AP which is not same on all the AP's. Is this right?

• How many Client Users will connect per Channels. 802.11 a / g will provide 11 Channels, is this Right?.

• I'm trying to set in the WLC to limit the Client connections per AP to 25, can this be achieved?

Please, can anyone help me in calrifying the above points.

Regards,

Keshava Raju

Correct Answer by dennischolmes about 8 years 6 months ago

Unless that has recently changed no you can't. The ports must be then broken apart into individual groups. You will want the controller in layer 3 mode as Cisco is stopping Layer 2 support. The AP manager is required in any case in layer 3 LWAPP transport mode. Do a search on Cisco.com for the configuration guide of the version of code you are running. This will provide step by step installation guidelines.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
dennischolmes Mon, 08/25/2008 - 10:35

1. I would set the 4 physical ports up as LAG and not backup.

2.Yes on the 802.1x.

3. Auto RF will assign power and channels to the APs based on interference and noise issues.

4.I would allow no more than 15 users per AP on 802.11a or b/g.

5. Yes on the autoRF settings or global network setting per network (a or b/g) you can set the limit on the number of users per AP. I suggest no more than 15.

keshavahp Mon, 08/25/2008 - 22:01

Many Thanks Mr. Dennis for your help & Clarification.

With ref to your reply point no# 1. I have actually planned to connect one Gig port of the controller to each of the Dual Cisco Core Switch setup. Can i use all 4 Controller Interfaces configured as LAG and Port 1 & 2 connecting to Core Switch 01 and Port 3 & 4 connecting to Core Switch 02?

I have Final two more questions, Request you to help me calrifying this?

• I'm willing to configure Multicast communication between the WLC & AP's. For this configuration is it necessary to Connect the WLC in a different VLAN than the VLAN of the AP's. Is it necessary that I have to set the controller to LWAPP Layer 3 mode to support the Multicast communication?

• Though I do not have implementation experience of the WLAN. My understanding of the Interface settings on the WLC - is I will have to configure one Management Interface for in-band management. Do I have to configure AP-Manager Interface (to support Multicast communication) and to make the WLC to communicate with ACS for Client Authentication. All of the Wireless Devices including the ACS are in one VLAN / IP Subnet, is only one Management Interface is enough for communicating with AP's (with Multicast) and communicating with ACS for forwarding the Authentication messages between the ACS & Wireless Clients?

Correct Answer
dennischolmes Tue, 08/26/2008 - 03:24

Unless that has recently changed no you can't. The ports must be then broken apart into individual groups. You will want the controller in layer 3 mode as Cisco is stopping Layer 2 support. The AP manager is required in any case in layer 3 LWAPP transport mode. Do a search on Cisco.com for the configuration guide of the version of code you are running. This will provide step by step installation guidelines.

keshavahp Tue, 08/26/2008 - 04:33

Thanks a lot Mr. Dennis!. I have got answers to all my quiries.

keshavahp Tue, 08/26/2008 - 09:30

Hello Mr. Dennis,

Apologies… I have another Final Question.

I have one 4404 Controller which needs to be connected to the Dual Core Switch setup, for providing WLC Redundant Connection. But configuring the AP-Manager Interface will not allow to map to a Backup port; since the Backup port is not supported.

Off course we can have two AP-Manager Interface configured in the same VLAN and with same IP Subnet. But when the AP-Manager Interface1 fails all the AP's associated with AP-Manager Interface1 must be rebooted to join back the WLC on AP-Manager Interfac2. Is this RIGHT?

What is your suggestion, instead can I have one Management Interface configured and mapped to a Backup port to support WLC setup for Redundancy using one single WLC?

Please, request your help to clarify this!

Regards,

Keshava

tkhan Tue, 08/26/2008 - 10:07

Instead of a single 4404, you could have purchased 2x4402 that support 50 access points. Have 40 access points registered on each WLC but have half primary on one, secondary on the other and vice versa. Form a mobility group between both WLCs.

Actions

This Discussion