cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What switch or router would work?

Patrick.Beaven
Level 1
Level 1

I Have a scenario with a data center that currently only has two layers. The internet layer and distribution swithes.

Both the switches and the routers get a full bgp feed. I'm looking to increase the scalablility. I'm looking at putting either a switch or router in between the switches and routers. Then setting this middle layer to get the full bgp feed and only an ibgp feed to the distro switches. This would offload the memory of a full bgp feed off the switches.

Would a 6504 switch handle a full bgp feed with 24-48 gig ports. I'm looking for a switch (or router) with around 2gig of memory and enough processor to handle 4 different bgp feeds from various internet providers and able to handle 6-8 ibgp feeds internally.

Anyone have any great idea's?

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Patrick,

if you want to handle multiple full BGP Internet tables you need a powerful supervisor like SUP720 3CXL.

The number of iBGP peers has less impact because if they share the same outbound policy BGP will put them in the same update-group (even without defining a peer-group).

Verify if a 6504 can support this supervisor otherwise you will need a bigger chassis even if the forwarding requirements can be fullfilled by a single linecard.

Choice the latest series linecard to have better performance (less ports sharing the same resources).

Install on them DFC 3CXL.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card