cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS Blocking Shunning and Deny Inline

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

I recently moved from promiscuous to inline and want to take advantage of denying packets inline. With promiscuous mode, I added my local networks to the never block list. Does the never block list apply to the deny packets inline options? If not is there another expect list or should I write an event filter?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Never Block List only applied to Blocks being done on other devices (routers, switches, firewalls).

To prevent Denies for the same addresses you have to use Event Action Filters. Create a filter for those same addresses as the source/attacker, for ALL sigs, subsigs, dest addresses, ports, etc... and select the Deny Attacker Inline, Deny Attacker Service Pair Inline, and Deny Attacker Victim Pair Inline event actions as the Actions To Subtract.

Subtracting these actions will ensure that the inline sensor does not do any long term blocking based on the address.

You can decide whether or not to add the Deny Packet Inline and Deny Connection Inline to this filter as well.

I recommend NOT adding them so you can deny specific packets/connections being used in an attack even when that attack originates inside your network.

Also understand that the filter will only prevent Deny Attacker ... Inline actions being done automatically through the triggering of a signature. It will NOT prevent those addresses from being Denied if somebody manually enters an address to Deny through the CLI. (CLI entered Denies were introduced in IPS 6.1) (NOTE: I don't remember if IDM/IME support adding Denies manually)

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

marcabal
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

The Never Block List only applied to Blocks being done on other devices (routers, switches, firewalls).

To prevent Denies for the same addresses you have to use Event Action Filters. Create a filter for those same addresses as the source/attacker, for ALL sigs, subsigs, dest addresses, ports, etc... and select the Deny Attacker Inline, Deny Attacker Service Pair Inline, and Deny Attacker Victim Pair Inline event actions as the Actions To Subtract.

Subtracting these actions will ensure that the inline sensor does not do any long term blocking based on the address.

You can decide whether or not to add the Deny Packet Inline and Deny Connection Inline to this filter as well.

I recommend NOT adding them so you can deny specific packets/connections being used in an attack even when that attack originates inside your network.

Also understand that the filter will only prevent Deny Attacker ... Inline actions being done automatically through the triggering of a signature. It will NOT prevent those addresses from being Denied if somebody manually enters an address to Deny through the CLI. (CLI entered Denies were introduced in IPS 6.1) (NOTE: I don't remember if IDM/IME support adding Denies manually)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card