Views
Helpful
Replies

Problem with VLANs using HWIC-4ESW installed on Router 1841 & 2811

dmendoza
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have installed two HWIC-4ESW on Router 2811. I have configured 8 vlans one for each port. The problem is that only the first 4 ports work propertly, the other 4 ports do not response to ping when I have connected my Laptop directly to the port.

I configured 8 vlans on database, when I connect the laptop the physical port and Vlan go up, but have not response in the last 4 port. do have any restriction to manage more than 4 vlan or phisical ports? How can I resolve this issue? I need to have 8 VLANs working to links type WAN via Fastehernet.

Other problem is when I configure a Secondary ip address into whatever VLAN interface do not response only the primary. Is it possible put a secondary ip address on VLAN interface?

Example:

interface Vlan1

ip address 172.16.10.1 255.255.255.252 secondary

ip address 192.168.254.5 255.255.255.252

!

Router#ping 172.16.10.2

Type escape sequence to abort.

Sending 5, 100-byte ICMP Echos to 172.16.10.2, timeout is 2 seconds:

Success rate is 0 percent (0/5)

Router#

This problem was the same when I use a 1841 Router.

Please help me !!!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Damian

When you install 2 switch modules like the HWIC-4ESW in a router you need to link the switches together using a port from each switch (and a cross over cable) to make the connection. It sounds like you have not done this.

Here is a quote from a Cisco doc:

Multiple Ethernet Switch HWICs or network modules installed in a host router will not act independently of each other. They must be stacked, as they will not work at all otherwise.

here is the link for more detail if you want it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html

and here is a link with information about configuring stacking:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html#wp1049119

As for the question about secondary addressing, I believe that secondary addressing can be configured on VLAN interfaces (though I can not remember ever having done it myself). When you did the ping to 172.16.10.2 was there a device connected in VLAN 1 with address 172.16.10.2 and was its default gateway 172.16.10.1? (the default gateway setting would be essential for the ping to work)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Damian

When you install 2 switch modules like the HWIC-4ESW in a router you need to link the switches together using a port from each switch (and a cross over cable) to make the connection. It sounds like you have not done this.

Here is a quote from a Cisco doc:

Multiple Ethernet Switch HWICs or network modules installed in a host router will not act independently of each other. They must be stacked, as they will not work at all otherwise.

here is the link for more detail if you want it:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html

and here is a link with information about configuring stacking:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3t/12_3t8/feature/guide/esw_cfg.html#wp1049119

As for the question about secondary addressing, I believe that secondary addressing can be configured on VLAN interfaces (though I can not remember ever having done it myself). When you did the ping to 172.16.10.2 was there a device connected in VLAN 1 with address 172.16.10.2 and was its default gateway 172.16.10.1? (the default gateway setting would be essential for the ping to work)

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Rick,

The problems were resolved !!!!

I did the physical and logical connection between both HWIC-4ESW cards and that resolved the comunication. All vlans are working now.

The secondary ip address is already working the problem was that I was trying in the second HWIC-4ESW configured as VLAN 1, but have was not communication between both cards.

I really appreciate you help.

Thanks a lot.

Damian Mendoza

Damian

I am glad that you were able to resolve the problem and that my suggestions helped with how to get both switches to work. Thank you for posting back to the thread and indicating that the problems were resolved and how you resolved them. Also thanks for using the rating system to indicate that the problem was resolve (and thanks for the rating). It makes the forum more useful when people can read about a problem and can read how the problem was resolved.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card