cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What cable connects to 2511-RJ45 routers?

newnetman
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

May i ask anyone to please help explain the type cable that runs between the Access-server-RJ45 and the rest of the Routers?. I am confused and believed the normal RJ45-DB9 cannot do the trick since both the AS and the routers are now to be consoled connected.

Thank you all

6 Replies 6

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello,

Thanks for the help, unfortunately, i am asking for Access server-RJ45's cable connection and not OCTAL cable, which is required for ordinary AS2500s.

Any further help shall be appreciated.

Regards

Very hard to find, here is one at eBay:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Allied-Telesis-CentreCom-AT-210TS-AUI-to-TP-Transceiver_W0QQitemZ320289600620QQcmdZViewItem

HTH,

__

Edison.

Please rate helpful posts

Hello,

Once again, i am very grateful for your help, But i wish you can please explain a little bit as to why a transceiver is needed when i am making inquiry about cable types.

Thank you

A 2500 router does not have a RJ45 Ethernet port like the newer routers do, hence you need the transceiver to make this kind of connection.

I'm not sure what 'cable types' are you referring.

The access-server is a terminal server and you connect from the terminal server to the routers via the console - first cable in my post do the job.

If you want to connect to the routers via RJ45 ethernet, then you need the transceiver to connect to the LAN from the access server - second post covers that.

Please explain clearly what you really need.

Edit:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/routers/access/2500/software/user/guide/prepins.html#wp1091

The Ethernet port is located on the left of the rear panel of the access server. The port is labeled AUI. Use an Ethernet transceiver to connect the access server directly to the network.

You can use the following equipment to connect to the Ethernet AUI port:

•An Ethernet AUI cable connected to a transceiver

•An Ethernet transceiver connected directly to the access server's AUI port

___

In others words, you need a transceiver if you want the Access-Server to have a LAN connection over RJ45.

__

Edison.

The 2500's use the OLD 'AUI' ethernet jack. In order to 'convert' that into RJ45 you need a 'transceiver'.

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco