cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASA 5505 release DHCP lease

stevew295
Level 1
Level 1

How can I release DHCP on external interface? It has obtained an IP from ISP that they have decided don't want me to have, so have to release address so can obtain a new IP. I keep getting the same IP back.

5 Replies 5

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Try changing the mac-address of the interface and see if that helps.

Regards

Farrukh

Thanks, I set to static, and gave it the 'new' IP (x.x.x.40, (using ASDM), save, then set back to DHCP, but it always grabs the 'old' IP (x.x.x.241). The ISP is reserving x.x.x.40 for this MAC address, another possible problem is that I didn't set the DHCP originally to 'Mac address', but rather left it at default of 'cisco-MAC-interfacename-host which is possibly why not getting the proper address assigned from ISP. But, when I set to static, and then switch back to DHCP, I check the "MAC address" but it still uses the 'cisco-MAC-interfacename-host'.

Yes since the ISP has mapped it you need to change the mac-address of the inteface via the command line.

Regards

Farrukh

Thanks, I double checked with my ISP, and they had not removed an earlier test computer's MAC address that I had setup (to try and resolve another issue), so in effect there were two MAC address bound. The ISP removed the old MAC address, which cured my problem.

Thanks

Ok, its great that you have it working now. :)

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card