Lab equipment best practice

Answered Question
Aug 25th, 2008

Hi,

I just bought some routers and switches to study for the CCIE Voice lab. Besides the fact that they generate a ton of heat and noise, I'd like to avoid paying 40 million dollars/month in utilities. Is it a bad idea to start them and shut them down daily? Someone mentioned to me that these devices are meant to stay on for long stretches and that it causes damage to start and stop them on a daily basis (I never heard of such a think before.) It couldn't hurt to ask; what has been your experience? Any problems?

-Shikamaru

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by ccbootcamp about 8 years 3 months ago

I would suggest getting an APC 9211. You should have no problems turning your equipment on and off regularly. We have $6M in cisco equipment in our lab, and we have automated scripts which turn the equipment off. It shouldnt cause you any issues. The biggest concern should be the temp. of the room where the equipment is located and making sure that there is good circulation. If you have those covered, you'll be fine.

Please rate the post if this helps.

thanks,

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

International: +1-702-968-5100

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

www.ccbootcamp.com

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Collin Clark Tue, 08/26/2008 - 07:28

I power mine on/off all the time (not daily though), I've never ran into any issues.

shikamarunara Tue, 08/26/2008 - 08:38

What's all of the time? 2 or 3 times/week? I know I sound a little paranoid, but doing this for several years gets your mind to the point of thinking that anything can break for any stupid reason.

-Shikamaru

Collin Clark Tue, 08/26/2008 - 08:45

Yeah a couple of times a week. Car engines are made to run long sustained distances, but we constantly turn them on and off. I would'nt worry too much about it. I bought an extra power supply for my routers, but it's still sitting in the box.

shikamarunara Tue, 08/26/2008 - 09:14

With the 2610 routers I bought a couple of years ago (at 150 bucks each), I didn't really care. The 2811 routers were quite a bit more expensive :( At this point, I've 6 routers and 5 switches, I'm scared to find out what the electric bill will be if I left them running constantly.

-Shikamaru

Correct Answer
ccbootcamp Wed, 08/27/2008 - 12:25

I would suggest getting an APC 9211. You should have no problems turning your equipment on and off regularly. We have $6M in cisco equipment in our lab, and we have automated scripts which turn the equipment off. It shouldnt cause you any issues. The biggest concern should be the temp. of the room where the equipment is located and making sure that there is good circulation. If you have those covered, you'll be fine.

Please rate the post if this helps.

thanks,

Brad Ellis

CCIE#5796 (R&S / Security)

CCSI# 30482

CEO / President

Toll Free: 877-654-2243

International: +1-702-968-5100

YES! We take Cisco Learning Credits!

www.ccbootcamp.com

shikamarunara Wed, 08/27/2008 - 12:46

Thank you, that's very helpful. I don't quite 6M in equipment, but the three 2811 and 3500 cost enough to worry ;)

Thanks again,

Shikamaru

Actions

This Discussion