cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IP addressing

nramesh25
Level 1
Level 1

my n/w has /26 subnet, IP range is 10.36.27.64 to 10.36.27.127. Now i want to upgrade to /24 subnet, then IP range will be 27.0 to 27.255.

Can i use same default gateway i.e 27.127 for all hosts? as changing only subnet mask on all hosts & switch interface. Pls suggest

Thanks

Ramesh

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Ramesh,

The gateway needs to be in the same subnet as the clients that is servicing.

If you decide to keep the subnet mask of /26, only the clients within the .64 to .127 range will be able to use .127 as the gateway.

If you decide to change the subnet mask to /24, clients within the .1 to .254 can use the .127 as the gateway.

HTH,

__

Edison.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

keeleym
Level 5
Level 5

Hi There

Yes, no problem. You can use any of the 254 available IP addresses on the subent as the default gateway.

Most networks I have come across appear to use either the first (.1) or last (.254) available IP address as the default gateway, but again this not a requirement but rather a standard the the Net Admins appear to adhere to.

Best Regards,

Michael.

Thanks for ur mail.

If i am not changing my subnet mask whether it will work or not? (Range 10.36.27.64 to 27.127)

Regards

Ramesh

Ramesh,

The gateway needs to be in the same subnet as the clients that is servicing.

If you decide to keep the subnet mask of /26, only the clients within the .64 to .127 range will be able to use .127 as the gateway.

If you decide to change the subnet mask to /24, clients within the .1 to .254 can use the .127 as the gateway.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card