Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity over a WAN

angel-moon
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

Scenario: Unity Primary and Failover at central location. Can we place a second failover Unity server at a DR site across a WAN? If memory serves I think I remember seeing something about Unity over WAN not being officialy supported bt I also seem to recall someon saying it would work as long as the delay and latency were under a certain limit.

Thanks in advance. All replies rated!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all you cannot have 2 failover servers. Second of all splitting Unity across WAN is supported as long as the link is un-godly huge and delay is 2 ms.

Your other alternative is to use Unity Standby server which requires "only" 100Mb of dedicated bandwidth and 40 ms delay, a new concept in Unity 5.0. I would suggest reading up on the requirments in the Unity design doc.

HTH,

Chris

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

First of all you cannot have 2 failover servers. Second of all splitting Unity across WAN is supported as long as the link is un-godly huge and delay is 2 ms.

Your other alternative is to use Unity Standby server which requires "only" 100Mb of dedicated bandwidth and 40 ms delay, a new concept in Unity 5.0. I would suggest reading up on the requirments in the Unity design doc.

HTH,

Chris

Good post Chris, highlighting failover vs standby. +5 point here. Here's the documentation of the requirements for Unity 5.0

Failover Requirements for Separating Cisco Unity Servers by a WAN

•There must be two paths of connectivity between the Cisco Unity servers.

•Each path of connectivity must be gigabit speed or higher with no stead-state congestion.

•The maximum round-trip latency must be no more than 10 ms. A fixed network latency of 5ms or less is a best practice.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp567423

Requirements for Standby Redundancy are also defined in the same document

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/requirements/50cusysreq.html#wp538032

Regards,

Michael.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: