cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Multicast Flooding

Richardbarton82
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I have 1x Catylist 3508G backbone swiitch and 11x 2950G when I set a powercast image running it floods the network how can I resolve this ?

All 2950G have IGMP snooping enabled

Ric

2 Replies 2

dan-jones
Level 1
Level 1

Do you have a RP set up as well? One of Cisco's documents on multicast states: "A router is still necessary with IGMP snooping to provide the IGMP querying."

I am guessing you just need to configure a router with 'ip multicast-routing' in config and 'ip pim dense-mode' on the locally facing interface.

As Dan says you will need a Layer-3 device (per VLAN) that has IGMP enabled on it to act as the IGMP querier (and Multicast DR). Without this multicast will just flood. Also the 3508XL doesn't support IGMP snooping, only CGMP snooping so you would need to enable CGMP on the layer-3 device as well. The 3500XL series are EOL and you should really look at replacing this, maybe introduce a layer-3 core and solve the multicast issue as well?

HTH

Andy

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card