cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

3845 IP2IP Gateway redundant connection to 6509s puzzle

wilson_1234_2
Level 3
Level 3

We have a 3845 IP2IP gateway which is connecting a SIP trunk to our internal network from Verizon.

The SIP trunk is connected to the IP2IP gateway serial interface and Verizon is sending the calls to the etherent interface of the IP2IP gateway router which then passes them to call manager in the same subnet as the IP2IP gateway ethernet interface.

There is only a single ethernet interface configured on this router going to one of our core switches.

I would like to connect the other unused interface to the other core switch for some kind of redundant connection, in the event we loose one of the switches (which recently happened).

The Voice guy is telling me that h323 has to be bound to a real interface with a real IP address, which rules out Loopback or HSRP.

Anyone have any ideas on how to do this?

3 Replies 3

Chad Stachowicz
Level 6
Level 6

Your voice guy is wrong all my H323 interfaces and in the CCIE Voice lab are always bound to the loopback. H323 to loopback is your answer. This is a best practice anyways because if the interface goes down, IT cable breaks H323 dies! loopback never goes physically down therefore H323 will never die from a cable failure.

HTH, please rate useful posts

Chad

Chad is right,

also HSRP used widley as HA mechnazime with h323 GKs !

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: