cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Resetting a LAP

rochoa8aeg
Level 1
Level 1

So supposing I have a LAP that I move from one WLC to another WLC on a different subnet. I reset this very same AP to factory settings using the mode button, when I attempt to join to the 2nd WLC I have issues with the AP retaining its previous IP settings, if this is the case is my only recourse to manually configure the LAP with the following commands?

AP#lwapp ap ip address <IP address> <Subnet Mask>

AP#lwapp ap ip default-gateway <IP-address>

AP#lwapp ap controller ip address <IP-address>

Shouldnt the reset from the mode button have cleared it to the point where I have a factory-default AP?

14 Replies 14

ericgarnel
Level 7
Level 7

You have to hold down the mode button for 20-30 seconds while powering on the unit.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Rene,

If the LWAPP AP did have the username and password changed while the LAP was joined to the controller then this is available via the AP's console connection.

Here is one method;

Manually Resetting the Access Point to Defaults

You can manually reset your access point to default settings using this EXEC mode CLI command:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note This command requires the controller configured Enable password to enter the CLI EXEC mode.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

clear lwapp private-config

From this Troubleshooting doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/1130/installation/guide/113h_c4.html#wp1091061

Hope this helps!

Rob

if all the above fails, you can always try it this way. This is an 1131AG ap, but it shows you what you need to look for.

First, check the flash:

lap_1131#dir

Directory of flash:/

2 -rwx 279 May 09 2008 11:52:20 +00:00 env_vars

4 -rwx 6168 May 09 2008 11:52:20 +00:00 private-multiple-fs

6 drwx 256 May 09 2008 11:49:05 +00:00 c1130-k9w8-mx.124-3g.JA2

5 drwx 128 Mar 01 2002 00:03:43 +00:00 c1130-rcvk9w8-mx

15998976 bytes total (10716672 bytes free)

Then delete the LWAPP image:

lap_1131#delete /r /f flash:/c11310-k9w8-mx.124-3g.JA2

Not the one the has rcv in it!!!!!!

Thirdly reload the AP:

lap_1131#reload

Then issue a clear lwapp private-config

You'll end up with a clear AP.

-Scott
*** Please rate helpful posts ***

Rob,

Yes I read about the username/password but didnt quite understand it. Why must a un/pwd even need to be set on the AP if it is being managed by the WLC, you wouldnt be able to make any changes if you consoled into the AP anyways right? So what is the benefit of creating a un/pwd via WLC, is it Cisco Best Practice?

Username and password allows you to tenet of ssh into the AP. It also allows you to clear the configuration from the console, which you can't if the LAP has joined a WLC.

-Scott

Yes, but isn't that only available in versions 5 and above?

I can run that command on 4.2.

-Scott

very interesting....

I am running 4.2.130 and I am not able to telnet to any of my lwapp APs. By chance, are you trying this on an AP that has been converted from autonomous to lwapp? If there is a way to do this in 4.2.130 I would be delighted.

I was basing my initial response on the following from the 5.0.148 rel notes

http://cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/release/notes/crn501480.html#wp302677

New features

Telnet and SSH support-The controller supports the use of Telnet or Secure Shell (SSH) protocols to troubleshoot lightweight access points. Using these protocols makes debugging easier, especially when the access point is unable to connect to the controller. You can configure Telnet and SSH support only through the controller CLI.

I'm running 4.2.130..

(Cisco Controller) >config ap ssh enable ?

Enter the name of the Cisco AP.

-Scott

Wow! Very cool! I wonder why Cisco stated this as a new feature in the 5.0.x rel notes then?

Just one more reason not to go up to 5.x!, that and about 90+ 1020 APs sitting on the shelf....

5 points to you for the cool tip!

It is too late to switch to Dlink?

Its never too late :)

Heck, we still use 4.1.185 on all installs except when 1252's are used. Then we still only use 4.2.130.

-Scott

Hi Rene,

I'm not sure if this is described as a "best practice" but for us it is. There are numerous reasons that the setting of a Username/Password on an LWAPP AP becomes a valuable step in the configuration process;

Resetting the LWAPP Configuration on a Lightweight AP (LAP)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/wireless/ps430/products_tech_note09186a00808e2d27.shtml

Deleting the LWAPP Configuration File to Redeploy the AP

When you redeploy an access point after moving it from one location to another, you must first delete the LWAPP configuration file and restore the access point to the factory default settings. Deleting the LWAPP configuration enables the commands on the access point console to configure the static IP address on the access point, the IP address on the controller, the access point hostname, and the default gateway IP address.

To delete the LWAPP configuration and restore the factory defaults, enter the following command in EXEC mode on the access point console:

clear lwapp private-config

The clear lwapp private-config command becomes available on the access point console after the controller pushes a new username and password to the access point.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/access_point/conversion/lwapp/upgrade/guide/lwapnote.html#wp169479

Hope this helps!

Rob

OMG! The light bulb is definitely getting brighter. At first I was confused as to why you would even want to Telnet or SSH into a LWAP since there are very limited commands you can perform on a LWAP especially when connected to a WLC, but after reading these posts it totally makes sense, 'You Would Want To Troubleshoot Using Debug Commands.'

So I'm assuming you set the username/password when priming and your consoled into the AP right? I gotta go try this!

Thanks a mil..

You can set it up anytime you want.... I usually would enter the commands after all my LAP's are up.... This way you can just specify all AP's with a username and password.

-Scott
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: