cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Connecting a Cisco router to an ISP DSL wireless router

skhirbash
Level 1
Level 1

I have a client who has a small business and recently got a bus DSL (4 static IP addresses) through AT&T. Everything works well for him execept that the DHCP on the wireless router (Motorola Netopia) only allocates 4 ip addresses to hosts. I am thinking about setting up a Cisco router with DHCP but I am not sure what's involved in terms connecting the cisco router to the netopia router. Can someone point me in the right direciton?

Thanks in advance,

sK

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Sadik,

the router has to get an ip address from the netpia.

It needs to NAT to this ip address the whole DHCP scope it serves on the second interface.

use a private address RFC 1918 for the scope

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Thanks Giuseppe!

So, I need to assign one of the public ip addresses on the Cisco interface that is linked to the Netopia router, correct?

Also, do I disable the NATing on the Netopia router and enable it on the Cisco router?

Thanks much,

SK

Hello Sadik,

>> So, I need to assign one of the public ip addresses on the Cisco interface that is linked to the Netopia router, correct?

If you have a small pool of public IP addresses you can do so and of course you don't need NAT on the Netopia.

If you just have a single public IP address on the wan interface of Netopia you can only assign a private IP address to the Cisco and you still need NAT on Netopia and on the Cisco as well

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco