cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

LMS 3.0.1 java.lang.OutOfMemoryError

GERARD PUOPLO
Level 1
Level 1

We are having problems with LMS since we upgraded to LMS 3.0.1. The most recent is now when we try to connect we get java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. The other problem is the growth of the low files are filling up our 150G disk every few days.

6 Replies 6

Joe Clarke
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Where do you see this OutOfMemoryError? Exactly what files are filling up the disk? What are their contents?

This LMS 3.0.1 in on VMWARE.

Earlier today when trying to https to the LMS server the response from the web server was java.lang.OutOfMemoryError. I am not getting this error now. Now I am getting ServerNotReady.

We been getting the serverNotReady every day or so. Stopping and restarting the process manager daemon fixes it but then 2 days later it comes back. I read some of the posts here saying its a tomcat issue but so far the issue is unknown and unresolved.

~cscopx/MDC/tomcat/stdout.log got very large once and filled up the disk. Then today I noticed many log files being very large like ConfigMgmtServer.log and read up about logrot.pl.

I read in a post about making logrot.pl a daily job but didn't fully follow it. First, .pl on windows is not associated with the perl executable. I thought the install did this but on our system .pl is not associated with perl.

Can you expand upon normal LMS log file maintanance. Should one always setup logrot.pl as a daily job to trim all log files.

Second, any ideas on the java.lang.OutOfMemoryError and the earlier ServerNotReady

Here is a snip from ~CSCOps\MDX\tomcat\stdout.log. It shows time period from where I was getting the java.lang.outOfmemoryerror and the start of ServerNotReady.

This is a known issue, CSCso54631. It affects LMS servers which are integrated with ACS using HTTPS. The workaround is to integrate with ACS using HTTP. The bug is fixed in LMS 3.1.

A co-worker of mine opened a TAC case on this and was given a patch that fixed our problem. Now we are able to run LMS 3.0.1 with integration with ACS using https mode for LMS-ACS integration with the ServerNotReady or javaoutofmemory problems.

What my co-worker was given was a file MICE.jar and the following instructions.

Stop the daemon manager: /etc/init.d/dmgtd stop

* Backup the following file: NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/shared/lib/MICE.jar

* Patch the attached files in this location:

NMSROOT/MDC/tomcat/shared/lib/

* Start the daemon manager back: /etc/init.d/dmgtd start

* If you still have the Core Admin Module debug enabled please

o Go to Common Services > Server > Admin > CS Log Configurations.

o Select Core Admin Module as Component.

o Check disable.

o Apply.

You don't need the .pl extension associated to Perl to run daily jobs. You can create a Windows at job with the command NMSROOT\bin\perl NMSROOT\bin\logrot.pl. Yes, logrot is the recommended way to do logfile maintenance. Daily jobs are the way to go. The logrot documentation in the CiscoWorks online help covers examples of how to set it up using Windows at (i.e. the command scheduler).

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: