Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Cisco 7941 IP Phone

The 7941 IP phone always gets connected to the speaker mode directly. The receiver set is not working or connecting. Is it any configuration issue or hardware issue.

3 Replies 3

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Sathiyajith,

I'm 99% sure its RMA time for these phones. This is most likely a problem with the Hookswitch. After deploying Cisco IP Phones for the last few years, we (and many others) have found this to be the most common hardware problem.

There is a "Best Practice" for cleaning the Hookswitch contacts (link below) that does work on occasion. Usually the phone has to be replaced/RMA'd.

Best?? Practices for Cleaning and Troubleshooting Cisco IP Phone Hookswitch

From this interesting Tech note;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/phones/ps379/products_tech_note09186a00801c0810.shtml

There was also a problem with the 7.2 phone firmware that caused similar looking symptoms for the 3rd generation phones like the 7970/7961/7941. This could be rectified in the short term by booting the phone. If your issue can be fixed by resetting the phone and you are running 7.2 firmware, let me know and I will find you the Bug.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Rob,

I thought this was an issue with just the 7961, but had to replace the owner's 7970 last week. :-(

Thanks for the great information above though as I thought I was just taking the easy way out and replacing.

Hi Liz,

Good stuff! We have had this with all IP Phone models. If you ever take one of these apart you will see that the "Hookswitch" mechanism is pretty Micky Mouse (no offense Micky :)

I'm hoping for a better design one of these days.

Take care,

Rob

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: