cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IOS Upload on a 3845

scott.cummins
Level 1
Level 1

I got a brand new 3845, It has the IPBASE-mz-124-17a IOS, they sent me a disk of IOS's. Should I replace the flash with ADVIPSERVICESk9-mz-124-16b, or is that a jump too far? Also what would be the best way to do this?

13 Replies 13

scott.cummins
Level 1
Level 1

Also, Do I WANT to over write the IPBASE, if I don't I don't have enough room.

So If I do a "copy tftp: flash: and replace my base software with the advipservices software, and reboot, will i expect it to boot up in the new IOS?

This depends on what you want to do. For example if you plan to utilize BGP you will need Advanced IP Services. Personally I would utilize the Advanced IP Services because it contains all the features offered with the Base.

You can compare IOS images here but you may need CCO access.

http://tools.cisco.com/ITDIT/CFN/Dispatch

James is correct! no bgp support on ipbase

Additionally, when tftping the new code router will give you the option to erase code from flash, once you download the new code you need a reload .

3845#copy tftp flawsh

Address or name of remote host []? 192.168.25.100

Source filename []? newcode-advipservicesk9-mz.124-3i.bin

Destination filename [flawsh]? newcode-advipservicesk9-mz.124-3i.bin

Accessing tftp://192.168.25.100/newcode-advipservicesk9-mz.124-3i.bin...

Erase flash: before copying? [confirm]

Jorge Rodriguez

I appreciate the info, I can tell you my boss bought this very expensive router for a single point-to-point DS3 circuit, i already have the t3/e3 card in and am just going to give it a basic confige to pass traffic between two points, Is it Okay if I just go ahead and overwrite the IPBASE IOS. It has been years since I have done any WAN routing

It should be fine, please go over upgrade procedure document to get you more Acquainted with router file system and the procedures involved in upgrading.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

It should be fine, please go over upgrade procedure document to get you more Acquainted with router file system and the procedures involved in upgrading.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/routers/ps259/products_tech_note09186a00801fc986.shtml

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Before moving to advanced services feature set from base, I believe you need a feature license for it.

Personally, to save on licensing and maintenace costs, I use whatever feature set provides the features I actually require. So, if base is all you need, no real advantage using a higher feature set. (More advanced feature sets also often require more flash and/or RAM.)

As to the best was to upgrade, generally across an Ethernet port using TFTP or FTP works well. With the later ISRs, like the 3845, I believe you can also copy IOS to a USB stick. With a current ROM image, you might even be able to boot from it too.

PS:

"Also, Do I WANT to over write the IPBASE, if I don't I don't have enough room."

It's often nice to have a backup image, but assuming everything "takes" with the copy, shouldn't be an issue.

"So If I do a "copy tftp: flash: and replace my base software with the advipservices software, and reboot, will i expect it to boot up in the new IOS?"

Usually, but if the former IOS is still present, router will boot into the first valid IOS image it sees unless overridden with bootvar. If bootvar is used, you can (still?) have a problem if specified boot image isn't found and another valid IOS image isn't found on default boot device.

PPS:

BTW: Don't erase the newer flashes. If they are "formatted", you can delete individual files. To totally clear flash, format it. (Believe format command uses newer flash file structure [DOS like] vs. older erase command.)

Gentlemen,

Thanks so much for all the leads, I did go ahead and TFTP it even though it is as basiic a config as you can get. It went well, I just followed your directions. Why does it say "card type command needed for slot 2"

Also, Why do I not see the t3/e3 card I have installed?

Scott

You do not see the card because IOS is not sure at this point whether you want to use it as T3 or E3. Many of the older controllers were built for one or the other and the IOS knew exactly what it was. But some of these newer controllers can do either. (that is why it is a T3/E3 card - and that is why IOS is not sure yet what to do with it) Once you use the card type command to identify the function of the card in slot 2 then the IOS will show the card.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hey Rick

Thanks for the info, I don't know too much about this. I am trying to configure it as a straight T3 connection point to point. SO If you have a link to the configuration commands for this particular module (NM-1T3/E3) I would be very grateful. I am looking myself, So I hope to find the command set soon

Hey Rick

Thanks for the info, I don't know too much about this. I am trying to configure it as a straight T3 connection point to point. SO If you have a link to the configuration commands for this particular module (NM-1T3/E3) I would be very grateful. I am looking myself, So I hope to find the command set soon

Scott,

to activate the card you need to tell IOS where card is installed e.i card type t3

say if card is installed in slot 4 of 3845 .

card type t3 4

controller t3 4/0

cablelength this is the coax cable distance bewteen router and T3 dmark, must not exeed 450 feet.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_2t/12_2t15/feature/guide/ft_te3nm.html#wp1066569

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco