cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Using IP phone to control door access

gonzalezel
Level 1
Level 1

Hello, we are looking for a way to use the cisco voip phone to control door access, does anyone know if this can be done or how it can be done.

8 Replies 8

dezoconnor
Level 4
Level 4

Certainly possible. Any door entry system that supports DTMF should work for you. You may require an ATA to pass DTMF to the door entry device. We've used devices from these guys in the past www.vikingelectronics.com

How are you using it? Does it allow you to open gates remotely say by pressing a button or entering a code into the phone?

When the user presses the intercom button it rings the ip phone so you can have a conversation. The device can be setup with a code so that when security have finished talking they type in the code on the ip phone and this unlocks the door.

Does someone have configuration examples for the CME to control locks with an ATA-186, I don't have experience with it and did a search but couldn't find an example

Thanks

We have several of these. We use a remote door box, which hits a ring generator (Valcom), the ring generator then comes into an FXO port on the router, that FXO port rings whatever number we need to ring. The user then answers on the IP Phone and dials whatever code is needed to open the door for the person on the other side. I'm not sure if these is the scenario that you're looking for, but this is something that we've set up a few times in the past.

HTH,

Steve

Yes Steve this is exactly what we are looking for. How difficult is the configuration? Thanks

Same for me, we want to do the same.

Quite simple, register a Cisco Certifed Intercom to call manager. Set a DTMF (Dual Tone Multi Frequency) code. For example 321. I bought a Cisco approved Intercom recently. You can dial into the Cisco IP Phone Network and any Cisco Phone can control the door. For this application we was triggering an automated gate. Bought it from here

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: