Ethernet Port Setting on LAP

Answered Question
Aug 27th, 2008
User Badges:

Is there any way to set the speed and duplex on the Ethernet port of a Lightweight Access Point?

Correct Answer by Scott Fella about 8 years 10 months ago

For some odd reason, you can't. Why... I have no idea. It would be a nice feature to have. Oh... don't forget to put the ap name on the end of the command.

(Cisco Controller) >config ap ethernet duplex auto speed auto AP1

Here is a link to why CDP isn't supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.1/configuration/guide/c51ccfg.html#wp1134555

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Scott Fella Wed, 08/27/2008 - 16:00
User Badges:
  • Super Silver, 17500 points or more
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

Yes.... from the CLI of the WLC the LAP is associated to run the following command:

config ap ethernet duplex speed

Hope this is what you are looking for.

srgaskill1 Wed, 08/27/2008 - 16:48
User Badges:

Yes this is what I was looking for and thank you. Are these commands in the Config guide?

I was also wondering if there was a command to do this via the console of the LAP. Problem is that our Switch ports are set to 100/Full and the LAP is set to Auto. When they negotiate the LAP comes up at 100 Half and the LAP and Switch both generate Duplex Mismatch errors.

I guess there are things that can be done via the command line that are not in the GUI.

Scott Fella Wed, 08/27/2008 - 16:51
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

The Hall of Fame designation is a lifetime achievement award based on significant overall achievements in the community. 

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

You are right..... the gui doesn't have everything that the CLI has. Also, when you hard code the port, make sure that the errors on the switch clears up. There are times when setting the duplex and speed causes issues. If you do get errors still... time to set the switchport to auto:)

I couldn't find this in the command reference guide. I'm running 4.2.130

srgaskill1 Wed, 08/27/2008 - 17:03
User Badges:

Can you tell me what version this shows up in? I am looking at the command reference guides for 4.0, 4.2 and 5.0 and it is not in there.

Scott Fella Wed, 08/27/2008 - 17:04
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

I'm running 4.2.130.... I guess this isn't in th e command reference guide.... just checked :(

srgaskill1 Wed, 08/27/2008 - 17:11
User Badges:

Thanks again, I'll dig around in the controller I have.

I am running 4.2.130 as well on a pair of WISMs.

Any idea why you can't configure CDP on a WISM?

Correct Answer
Scott Fella Wed, 08/27/2008 - 17:14
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

For some odd reason, you can't. Why... I have no idea. It would be a nice feature to have. Oh... don't forget to put the ap name on the end of the command.

(Cisco Controller) >config ap ethernet duplex auto speed auto AP1

Here is a link to why CDP isn't supported.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/wireless/controller/5.1/configuration/guide/c51ccfg.html#wp1134555

Scott Fella Wed, 08/27/2008 - 17:17
User Badges:
  • Hall of Fame,

• Cisco Designated VIP,

2017 Wireless

From the doc I just posted above:

Note CDP is not supported on the controllers that are integrated into Cisco switches and routers, including those in the Catalyst 3750G Integrated Wireless LAN Controller Switch, the Cisco WiSM, and the Cisco 28/37/38xx Series Integrated Services Router. However, you can use the show ap cdp neighbors [detail] {Cisco_AP | all} command on these controllers in order to see the list of CDP neighbors for the access points that are connected to the controller.

Actions

This Discussion

Trending Topics: Other Wireless Mobility

client could not be authenticated
Network Analysis Module (NAM) Products
Cisco 6500 nam
reason 440 driver failure
Cisco password cracker
Cisco Wireless mode