Views
Helpful
Replies

L2 Access Switch and Static Routes

amaiale
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a question surrounding static routes on a 6509 Server Access Switch (Sup720-3B running CAT OS 8.5.8).

The switch is intalled in our Data Center ServerFarm and does not have *any* configuration on the MSFC. All L3 routing is done at the ServerFarm Distribution Switches.

The access switch is already configured to have a default route pointing to the switches native vlan's HSRP IP address, which again resides on the Distribution switches.

For ex:

set ip route 0.0.0.0/0.0.0.0 10.1.1.254

To help my server team with a problem, they are asking me to put a static route on the switch for a host connected to the switch.

Is that possible?? Will it even work??

To configure the command I get the following (for CAT OS):

set ip route <destination> <dest/netmask> <gateway>

(I don't see any source IP, only destination IP and gateway).

If I added their static routes will they work?

Could I create a problem with any other traffic using the existing default gateway??

The Access Switch is configured with approx (20) vlans.

Thank you for your help,

Tony

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the access switch is purely L2 then there is no point in adding static routes because the switch will not use them - it can't because it only deals with packets at the mac-address level.

The default-route on this switch is so you can telnet to it for management, it is not used for server traffic. No data traffic other than management traffic is affected by this route.

Any static routes would have to be added on the distribution switches.

Jon

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If the access switch is purely L2 then there is no point in adding static routes because the switch will not use them - it can't because it only deals with packets at the mac-address level.

The default-route on this switch is so you can telnet to it for management, it is not used for server traffic. No data traffic other than management traffic is affected by this route.

Any static routes would have to be added on the distribution switches.

Jon

Jon,

Thanks for clearing that up for me and thank you for your response.

It is much appreciated!

Tony

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: