cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity - Message Notification malfunction

kramerr
Level 1
Level 1

We're got Unity 5.x/Exchange server. It is VM only. We want to implement MESSAGE NOTIFICATION w/o Unity Inbox (no license for Unity Inbox). I'm trying to send a notification using the TEXT PAGE 1 option, for my testing, to my company email address. Our SMTP gateway has been correctly configured. A 'sendmail' utility works successfully on said Unity server. However, the Message Notification part of Unity fails. The messaging group tells me they do not see any relay from our Unity server. I am stumped as to what the problem could be. I cannot identify any configuration parameters in Unity of any additional items I need to include, change, whatever. Any and all help would be most appreciated. Thank you.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi -

I would also check Exchange System Manager message tracking on your Unity server, since Exchange is on-box and also on the Exchange server that houses the user's email. Look for a sender called Unity Messaging System - unityservername. Unityservername is your Unity server's host name. Also check inbox for Unaddressed messages to see if you have anything stuck in there. Ginger

View solution in original post

11 Replies 11

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi -

The first thing I would check, if you haven't already, is to see if you have any ports configured in Unity SA for message notification. If you do, I would run Port Status Monitor for the ports you have configured for Message notification and this will tell you more detail on what is happening.

Ginger

Ginger, thank you for the reply. Observing the PSM reveals the message being recorded, and then, POOF! nothing. We've 16 ports configured on this small node, and the last four ports are Message Notification-enabled. Again, NADDA!!

Thanks.

Rick

Hi Rick -

Check the subscriber configured for message notification and make sure the Text message is (1) enabled and (2) that all voice messages are checked, not just urgent ones. You probably already have these guides, but sending links just in case:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/administration/guide/ex/5xcusag220e.html#wp1047829

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/5x/troubleshooting/guide/ex/5xcutsg090e.html

Regards, Ginger

Ginger, Again, my thanks for replying. The troublshooting/configuration checks you refer to have already been investigated. This is so frustrating. ARGH!!! Not you, the situation. I truly appreciate the support, believe me. There's got to be something I'm missing here. Regards, Rick

You might try setting up a dial-out notification for this same subscriber (e.g. Home Phone). Use the exact same schedule and trigger options as your Text Pager 1 device. If the dialout works but the smtp device fails, then we can conclude the smtp leg somehow is the problem. If both dialout and smtp devices fail, then the problem is somewhere in the notification trigger.

-Eric

Hi -

Just a thought - have you tried coding a different device like use a phone or cell phone and test message notification for that? This will eliminate your SMTP gateway and Exchange messaging from the picture.

Ginger

Folks, THANKS for all your messages. You don't know how much it's welcomed and appreciated. Allow me to add some data which I was remiss in doing earlier. A test call, via "HOME PHONE" was successful, in notifying this test user. We don't have paging enabled, so, paging is not to be considered. I installed a 'sendmail' utility on the server, and this utility successfully sent emails to both the corporate address as well as an internet address, i.e., @ yahoo.com. Initially, the sendmail failed on the server, and was eventually resolved by our messaging group (something in the SMTP gateway was reconfigured). After their 'repair,' the 'sendmail' utility was successful. That being said, if this stand-alone, command line utility works, and the applicaiton doesn't, there's something in the Unity application I'm missing - but WHAT?!?!?!? ARGH!!!! :)

So, am I on the right track, or am I out in left field, unknowingly? LOL!!! Thanks, folks, for all your advice and suggestions. Rick

Hi -

I would also check Exchange System Manager message tracking on your Unity server, since Exchange is on-box and also on the Exchange server that houses the user's email. Look for a sender called Unity Messaging System - unityservername. Unityservername is your Unity server's host name. Also check inbox for Unaddressed messages to see if you have anything stuck in there. Ginger

kramerr
Level 1
Level 1

PROBLEM SOLVED ! ! ! Ginger, thanks to you, you directed me to an area that wasn't considered within Exchange System Manager. The SMARTHOST parameter wasn't defined. Who'd have thought??I received TONS of test email notifications soon after this parameter was inserted. LOL!!! I truly appreciate your assistance, and that of all those who submitted suggestions and advice.

THANK YOU isn't enough, believe me, but THANKS!

Rick

Great troubleshooting here Ginger!! +5 points from Calgary on this one for sure :)

Take care,

Rob

Hey Rick -

Coolness! Glad to hear you found the troublesome area. I find this type of troubleshooting fascinating and am happy I could be of some small assistance! Most importantly, you are operational again and that's great! And this was a wonderful forum train, great information for future Unity/Exchange support teams.

Sincerely, Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: