cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

unity networking

askq2forum
Level 1
Level 1

Hi, we hve 3 unity 5.x server networked together, onbox storage. All 3 are part of same exchange organisation. I can locate a user from one unity server to another using the networking and send a message but it never arrives at the remote users mailbox. I tried accessing this with web mail sending from one mailbox to another and to a different server it also fails. Same server is fine, any ideas, looks like an exchange issue rather than Unity??...Jag

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi -

On the SMTP connector, Address Space tab, is the Address specified as *? If so, at a time you can safely test, replace the * with the customer's domain name and put the smart host back in. If you have multiple SMTP connectors, you will need to adjust the cost so mail flow works the way you want - here are two good articles on that - http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using_SMTP_Connector_Internally.html and this one - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294736

I know from experience working with the Unity Bridge voice connector, which uses a smart host can, if coded incorrectly, screw up mail flow for an organization.

Ginger

View solution in original post

6 Replies 6

Ginger Dillon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi Jag -

I would run Exchange System Manager on one of the Unity servers and use message tracking to see where the message gets stuck. Also check the following path depending on your drive config - \commserver\unitymta and \commserver\unitymta\failed. If you see the messages in the unitymta folder, Unity thinks Exchange is down - would also see application event log errors though. You can also try restarting the AvUMRSynchsvr service if you see messages in \commserver\unitymta. Messages left in \commserver\unitymta\failed indicate a different problem, most often with user's inbox. If you find the message stuck in one of the Exchange servers, check that the services are started like SMTP, Exchange MTA Stacks, and Exchange Routing Engine.

Ginger

Ginger, thanks for your reply. I have tracked the message. I also have an smtp smart host so that smtp notifications are sent to the customers domain. According to message tracking, any message i send from server 3 to server 5 or any combination is being sent to this smart host...weird??. Can't explain that one.

Hi Ginger, as a test I took off the smart host from the sending server and the message gets delivered fine to the second server.However I need the smart host for external notification- there must be a way of stopping messages from within my domain going to the customers domain?

Hi -

On the SMTP connector, Address Space tab, is the Address specified as *? If so, at a time you can safely test, replace the * with the customer's domain name and put the smart host back in. If you have multiple SMTP connectors, you will need to adjust the cost so mail flow works the way you want - here are two good articles on that - http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Using_SMTP_Connector_Internally.html and this one - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/294736

I know from experience working with the Unity Bridge voice connector, which uses a smart host can, if coded incorrectly, screw up mail flow for an organization.

Ginger

Hi Ginger (aka 'top man') that resolved my issue - thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

I had created a smart host on the smtp virtual server - external notifications to customers domain was working fine but for some reason my internal messages from unity server A to unity server B were also going down that route. Now I deleted that and instead created a connector and put the smart host in there - now works fine..best wishes, Jag.

Hi Jag -

Glad to hear things are now working for you, awesome!!

Sincerely, Ginger

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: