cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ACE - Probe

phil.wightman
Level 1
Level 1

I am trying to determine the best way to monitor the health of my servers. I have multiple Web Server instances running on different ports on the same physical server. So I have configured 1 RSERVER. In my Server Farm configuration I specify the RSERVER then the port number for each Web Server instance.

How can I monitor each Instance individualy?

I dont want to take the entire RSERVER out of service if just one of the instances fail. I just want to take the one instance out of service if that one instance has failed.

probe http EP-57100

port 57100

interval 2

faildetect 2

passdetect interval 2

request method get url /index.html

expect status 200 200

probe http EP-57300

port 57300

interval 2

faildetect 2

passdetect interval 2

request method get url /index.html

expect status 200 200

rserver host EP1

ip address 10.10.10.10

inservice

serverfarm host EP

rserver EP1 57100

inservice

rserver EP1 57300

inservice

Thanks for the help!

4 Replies 4

ciscocsoc
Level 4
Level 4

Hi Phil,

I'm not sure of the architecture you are proposing, but one solution to achieve your stated objective is to define multiple rservers - one for each port. A probe can then be assigned to each rserver rather than the serverfarm as a whole.

Another solution might be to create multiple serverfarms - one for each web server instance.

HTH

Cathy

Ahh, yes. Good idea. I didnt consider that. That will work for me. Thanks for the help!

You cannot create multiple rservers with same IP address. Similarly there is no way to define a port under rserver definition. You can define probes under rserver configuration but not ports.

Are the different instances (listening on diff ports) are serving the same application? If yes then you can try

serverfarm host EP

rserver EP1 57100

probe EP-57100

inservice

rserver EP1 57300

probe EP-57300

inservice

Syed Iftekhar Ahmed

Thanks Syed, good point.

Yes, I am hosting the same application across the different instances. I will try, as you have suggested, placing the probes on the Serverfarm instances instead of the RSERVERS themselves.

Thank you