Views
Helpful
Replies

Port-Channel Issue

bbinion80
Level 1
Level 1

Greetings,

I am having a weird issue with a port-channel interface. I am configuring a trunking interface to link up a switch with a VMWare ESX Server virtual switch. I have set up the trunking on the virtual side as well as on my physical switch. I am using 2 ports to create this channel. The problem is when I set up a continous ping from my Windows system, and monitor I am seeing some interesting results. When I add both ports to the channel, communication stops. When I remove one, communication starts up again through the port not in the channel. When I shutdown the port channel for several mins and open it up again, the pings go on for about a min before timing out. I am not sure whats going on. The channel configs match the physical interface configs. I would assume the trunking is set up correctly since it does work when not in the channel. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

6 Replies 6

bbinion80
Level 1
Level 1

Also...here are the configs from all interfaces.

Switch#show run int g1/44

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 289 bytes

interface GigabitEthernet1/44

description exstest3 (Po40 Member)

switchport

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk native vlan 22

switchport trunk allowed vlan 20-22,220

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

no cdp enable

spanning-tree portfast trunk

end

Switch#show run int gi2/1

Current configuration : 288 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet2/1

description exstest3 (Po40 Member)

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

no cdp enable

end

Switch#show run int po40

Current configuration : 274 bytes

!

interface Port-channel40

description Trunk to ESXTest3

switchport

switchport mode trunk

switchport nonegotiate

shutdown

end

Brian,

You don't have the physical interfaces applied to the port channel. Try adding this to both interfaces Gi 1/44 and 2/1.

channel-group 40 mode on

HTH,

Mark

*Don't forget to do a "no shut" on int po40*

My apologies, to get the link up and working, I removed them. But when I had it set up, I did have the "channel-group 40 mode on" command applied to the two physical ports.

The interface configs look fine. Have you configured and verified the port channel on the server is configured properly?

Well we teamed the NIC's using the VM software. The team appears to be working fine. As I said, the port channel is the issue because when I pulled the ports our of the channel, the links come up with no problem. That leads me to believe the configuration is set up correctly. I am hoping that maybe I am missing something small but I am clueless.

hey brian, try various load-balancing options on the ESX side, I have had issues in the past with port-channels connected to ESX machines, go into the VMNics properties using the GUI and try load balancing using IP-source-destination or something along those lines, havent looked at it for awhile!

good luck

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: