cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

2960 rommon tftp?

thefranmaneds
Level 1
Level 1

Does the 2960 support tftp when it rommon mode? Can you set a 2960 to download it's image from a tftp server? If not is there any other way to get he bin file on the switch without waiting for xmodem?

Thanks

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Unfortunately TFTP is not supported in rommon on the 2960 switch. You will have to use xmodem to load an IOS to the switch. There is a much faster way to upload the IOS. It will take minutes instead of hours.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml#speedrecovery

HTH,

mark

View solution in original post

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

not possible by tftp you need to download image via xmodem if switch has corrupted image or deleted image.

switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename.bin

Go over this link - using xmodem

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html#wp1099467

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Mark Yeates
Level 7
Level 7

Unfortunately TFTP is not supported in rommon on the 2960 switch. You will have to use xmodem to load an IOS to the switch. There is a much faster way to upload the IOS. It will take minutes instead of hours.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps628/products_tech_note09186a0080169696.shtml#speedrecovery

HTH,

mark

Two years ago when I was a technician an engineer showed me how to unbrick a 2960 and I never used xmodem. I only used tftp so their is a way. In fact I installed a 3750 ios on a 2960 and all I had was Romon mode. I'm trying to duplicate what I did on my 2960 but its been two years and I can't remember all the steps. I've never used xmodem in my life. I'll update this post if I figure it out. 

Richard

There is no way other than XModem on a 2960/2960G and/or 3750/3750G because these models neither have a USB port nor "tftpdnld" command.  With the newer switch that come with a USB port, it is as simple as plugging a valid USB thumb drive with the IOS BIN file.

I just read a post where someone booted an IOS from a tftp server and then installed the image. Their comment was why does cisco only put in the documentation one way of doing things (Xmodem) when their are three ways. and they pick the most conveluted way. He was working with a 2960.

I'm telling you I unbricked several 2960 switches and I never used xmodem.

I realize this is an old thread and marked as answered, but I believe the answer is incorrect. You can do it via TFTP, here is how:

Initialize the flash:
switch: flash_init

Initialize the management interface:
switch: mgmt_init

Then assign an IP address to the management interface:
switch: set IP_ADDR 10.1.100.2/255.255.255.0
switch: set DEFAULT_ROUTER 10.1.100.1

Then configure your TFTP server to have an IP on the same subnet and connect it to the management interface of the switch (ie 10.1.100.1/24)

Now to tell the switch to retrieve the firmware image:
switch: copy tftp://10.1.100.1/c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-5b.E.bin flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-5b.E.bin

The switch should then retrieve the image and save it flash.

Once the copy is complete boot from it with:

switch: boot flash:c2960x-universalk9-mz.152-5b.E.bin

Note: Connect your Laptop/TFTP server/whatever to the Management Interface of the switch

Thank you! You saved me from Xmodem hell!

This is really the CORRECT ANSWER!

Is it possible to have the above post marked as the correct answer?

Thanks again!

You saved my bacon today! (in a timely manner) Many thanks.

I created an account just to say that this is by far the BEST SOLUTION!!. It really works well and saved be a ton of time from Xmodem and finding correct USB size and model and formatting because of compatibility issues.
Just a pro-tip, when transferring via tftp fails, make sure that the tftp port from your PC/Laptop is open.

Anyone stumbling over this i the future - the idiot proof method of getting USB formatted is get a 1 or 2GB cheap USB, put in it a switch with a functional USB port and format usbflash0: or usbflash1:

I realize this is an ancient thread.   The original post was for a 2960.  This solution is for a 2960X.   The 2960X (and the 2960-S)supports TFTP in ROMMON.  The 2960- 2960+ and 2960G do not.

JORGE RODRIGUEZ
Level 10
Level 10

not possible by tftp you need to download image via xmodem if switch has corrupted image or deleted image.

switch: copy xmodem: flash:image_filename.bin

Go over this link - using xmodem

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst2960/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swtrbl.html#wp1099467

Rgds

Jorge

Jorge Rodriguez

Does anyone know why this feature isn't available? It gives you the options to set an ip address, gateway and an tftp server but not the tftpdnld command. I guess it is just as bad to not have enough space for two images at the same time...

Thanks guys.

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you change the console speed to 115200 a 2960 image will take maybe 5-6 minutes , its a big difference from 9600 .

petetritt
Level 1
Level 1

While writting this comment i just (im sitting in front of a rack and) succesfully unbricked a 2960x with following Manual:

http://blog.unolution.com/networking/how-to-recover-a-cisco-switch-3560x-3750x-from-boot-loader/

Yes a 2960x! 

worked perfectly..

cheers

Pete

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: