cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Add a extension with Voice mail without dedicated phone?

carbonscoring
Level 1
Level 1

Hi I'm new to the IP telephony world we have a current Call Manager 6.1.2.1000. I have an employee that does not have an office. Can I create a DN and have the rest of the office staff call that number to leave messages and have the employee check the number from various phones without associating. Do I need to associate it to a phone even though she has no dedicated phone?

thanks,

Mike

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hey Marwan,

Hope all is well :) (Great job here by the way!)

Yes, the DN assigned to the CTI-RP will match in Unity or Unity Connection. She will just call the Unity/UC pilot # (Opening Greeting) Press * and should be good to go. Also, as Jaime nicely noted you could configure an Alternate Extension for her Mobile or Home number that would be recognised by Unity and route her right through to her own mailbox. In the newest Unity version 7.0, if she was calling from the same Office phone over and over again this could become a "learned" extension (sorry, can't remember the actual feature name right now :)and offer the same behaviour.

Hope this helps buddy!

Rob

View solution in original post

Hi Mike,

No worries! Please try to use this method to completely remove this DN before trying again.

**Remove this DN from all phones first;

Can you please try this method via the Route Plan Report;

Deleting Unassigned Directory Numbers

This section describes how to delete an unassigned directory number from the route plan report. Directory numbers get configured and removed in the Directory Number Configuration window of Cisco CallManager Administration. When a directory number gets removed from a device or a phone gets deleted, the directory number still exists in the Cisco CallManager database. To delete the directory number from the database, use the Route Plan Report window.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Choose Route Plan > Route Plan Report.

The Route Plan Report window displays. Use the three drop-down list boxes to specify a route plan report that lists all unassigned DNs.

Step 2 Three ways exist to delete directory numbers:

a. Click the directory number that you want to delete. When the Directory Number Configuration window displays, click Delete.

b. Check the check box next to the directory number that you want to delete. Click Delete Selected.

c. To delete all found unassigned directory numbers, click Delete all Found Items.

A warning message verifies that you want to delete the directory number.

Step 3 To delete the directory number, click OK. To cancel the delete request, click Cancel.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed686.html#wp1024696

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

16 Replies 16

ullasmoopz
Level 1
Level 1

try extension mobility

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

have a look at the following link i think its is useful for ur case

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_configuration_example09186a008065128f.shtml

please, if helpful rate

he can also call from any phone to VM and press * to log into his own mailbox, also you can configure alternate extensions if he's going to use regularly some phones

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

HTH

java

if this helps, please rate

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

For this user you can create a CTI-RP (CTI Route Point) and assign a DN to it just like a regular phone. On the DN configuration page for the CTI-RP set the Call Forward All to Voice Mail. She will be able to access VM from on or off-site and retrieve messages just like any other user. If she requires notification for new messages look into all of the Message notification features available in Unity or Unity Connection.

Hope this helps!

Rob

hi rob

in this case the user should have a mailbox creat with the same CTI DN number right!

so how the user can access his VM if he/she dont have a DN for him associated with VM mailbox?

thank you

When you create the CTI route point, you will still have to assign it a DN in there, you just won't have to put it on a physical phone. You then create the same DN in the vmail. The user can then access the vmail from any phone by using that DN as his ID.

Hey Marwan,

Hope all is well :) (Great job here by the way!)

Yes, the DN assigned to the CTI-RP will match in Unity or Unity Connection. She will just call the Unity/UC pilot # (Opening Greeting) Press * and should be good to go. Also, as Jaime nicely noted you could configure an Alternate Extension for her Mobile or Home number that would be recognised by Unity and route her right through to her own mailbox. In the newest Unity version 7.0, if she was calling from the same Office phone over and over again this could become a "learned" extension (sorry, can't remember the actual feature name right now :)and offer the same behaviour.

Hope this helps buddy!

Rob

thanks rob

sure helpful 4 points for sure :)

have a nice weekend

Hi Marwan,

Thanks man! You have a great weekend as well (I can't wait as it's a 3 day long weekend in Canada :)

Cheers!

Rob

Thanks Rob for your help. I had already created a device for this user and just assigned a fake MAC address and created the DN and Unity account. Up until this point I can call from the outside and get there extension and leave a message however internal calls get a busy signal and internally no one can leave this person a message. I tried your suggestion and added a CTI-RP but i got an "Update failed. Shared Line feature is not supported".

I've been adding Calling Search Space and device pools to the phones not the DN. When I create new devices. Since this DN does not have a phone to associate with should I be adding the device pool and Calling Search Space to the DN?

thanks for you help,

Mike

Hey Mike,

First off, you are always welcome!

If you want to use the CTI-RP method (highly recommended) just remove the "fake" phone first and you should be good to go. No matter which way you go make sure the CSS is setup that has full access to Unity and is accessible from other local phones.

You can assign the CSS and Device Pool either way you go.

Hope this helps (and makes some sense :)

Rob

Hi Rob, I did as you suggested and deleted the fake phone and DN. I added the CTI Router however, I still get the "Add failed. Shared Line feature is not supported" when I try to add the DN.

any suggestions?

thanks,

Mike

Hi Mike,

No worries! Please try to use this method to completely remove this DN before trying again.

**Remove this DN from all phones first;

Can you please try this method via the Route Plan Report;

Deleting Unassigned Directory Numbers

This section describes how to delete an unassigned directory number from the route plan report. Directory numbers get configured and removed in the Directory Number Configuration window of Cisco CallManager Administration. When a directory number gets removed from a device or a phone gets deleted, the directory number still exists in the Cisco CallManager database. To delete the directory number from the database, use the Route Plan Report window.

Procedure

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 Choose Route Plan > Route Plan Report.

The Route Plan Report window displays. Use the three drop-down list boxes to specify a route plan report that lists all unassigned DNs.

Step 2 Three ways exist to delete directory numbers:

a. Click the directory number that you want to delete. When the Directory Number Configuration window displays, click Delete.

b. Check the check box next to the directory number that you want to delete. Click Delete Selected.

c. To delete all found unassigned directory numbers, click Delete all Found Items.

A warning message verifies that you want to delete the directory number.

Step 3 To delete the directory number, click OK. To cancel the delete request, click Cancel.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a00803ed686.html#wp1024696

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob, thanks for the help did what you said and now works great!

thanks again,

Mike

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: