Views
Helpful
Replies

IDSM vs IPS 4200

thedinuka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all

I'm trying to design a data center security solution. I have a 6509 E with sup 720 and FWSM. My concern now is whether to go for IDSM or a 4200 sensor. I know about the through put limitations of both products. Can you all highlight any other pros and cons ?

thanks

2 Replies 2

jdive
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Outside of the troughput limitation, you might want to look at the amount of physical interfaces that could make a difference. Finally, the IDSM2 hardware platform start to be ancient compared to the latest 4260's and 4270's.

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

I would recommend going for the appliances. It gets pretty difficult to troubleshoot the network with FWSM and IDSM in the same chassis. Etherchannels, STP, MAC-Learning.......you have to look at all that to see what exactly is happening in the network and the path taken by a particular packet. Since you have a 6500, you can load balance multiple IPS sensors using ECLB.

Also the appliances are modular, you can add interfaces etc.

Another downside is most network monitoring/management software(s) do not supported the IDSM properly, this includes Cisco's LMS and BMC Visualis/Dashboard. You will find the IDSM as a 'disconnected' device on both the Ciscoworks Campus Manager and BMC Visualis (on the network diagrams).

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card