cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How do I find out the AS number my eBGP neighbour is using to peer with me?

lucy.west
Level 1
Level 1

Hi - is there a way of finding out what AS number an EBGP peer is using to peer with my router? Obviously do a debug and reset the BGP peers, but I wondered if there's any 'show' command which can show me the same thing?

Note - I don't mean the neighbour's AS number but my own router's!

6 Replies 6

rajib_das
Level 1
Level 1

Hi lucy,

you can see the AS number of neighbor with "show ip bgp Summary" command

rajib

Hi - I'm actually after finding out my own AS number that they're peering with: my router's part of a subconfederation.

I know i'd see this in a debug of the OPEN message when establishing neighbours - I just wondered if there's another way of seeing it without resetting the neighbour?

ta

cisco_lad2004
Level 5
Level 5

in addition to previous reply....u will get error message if u trying configure a differnet AS, I dont recommend it in case cisco removed this safety pin and allows the reconfig on a new AS :-)

TST-POP1-NPE01(config)#router bgp 65001

BGP is already running; AS is 64512

TST-POP1-NPE01(config)#

Hi - thanks but I'm trying to find out the AS number of my own router that they're peering with. I have subconfederation configured: if I did a debug on BGP and reset the peers then I think we'd see it with the OPEN BGP message, is there another way to see if without resetting peers/debug?

Thanks

Hello Lucy,

to see the AS number as seen by others do

sh run | beg router bgp

and look at the line that say

bgp confederation identifier that is the public AS number you are looking for

Hope to help

Giuseppe

OK thank you

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card