cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Rapid PVST - flow of traffic

shastymacnasty
Level 1
Level 1

In the attachment I have a common Core-Server Farm setup with Etherchannels linking all devices including server 1 and 2 using RPVST and Router 1 as the root for VLAN 100. We are copying a large amount of data from server 1 to server 2. I have done a show span vlan 100 act for all devices and it shows the port channel blocking on server farm 2 on the link between server farm 1 and 2 as indicated in the diagram. Am i correct in saying that the data from server 1 will traverse through server farm 1 -> router 1 -> router 2 -> server farm 2 -> server 2? Can anyone confirm? Thanks, Mike

2 Replies 2

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Mike

Yes that is the path that traffic from server1 to server2 will have to take. Usually each serverfarm switch would have connections to each core router, that way you are at most 2 jumps away whereas in your setup you are having to go the "long" way round.

Jon

Thanks Jon, I sorta knew thats the way it was gonna turn out, we have fairly old versions of IOS which doesnt support mac tracing so you always gotta play with stp to work out whats going where!

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card