cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Upgrading 4.x to 6 or 7

patrick.hurley
Level 3
Level 3

I have a customer that is needing new hardware and we are thinking of upgrading their software too. Is it better to a new install or to migrate?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi Patrick,

Great question!

Even with the new build of CCM 6.x on a new box you can choose the Windows Migration option using the Data Migration Assistant (DMA). Just run the DMA on the old CCM 4.1(3) before you start and it will produce a .tar file that can be used to move the data across to the new version;

Import Windows Data

This option allows you to import database information from a Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x system by using a file that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool produces.

Upgrading the First Cisco Unified Communications Manager Node

When you choose Windows Upgrade, the installation wizard prompts you for the location of the preexisting Windows configuration information that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool created. See the Data Migration Assistant User Guide for more information on the DMA tool.

Step 1 - In the Windows Upgrade window, import data from a Windows version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager by choosing Yes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_1/upgrd611-pdf.pdf

Hope this helps!

Rob

View solution in original post

12 Replies 12

a.gooding
Level 5
Level 5

thats all according to how its setup. take for example, we currently have two customers in the same situation.

the first, wants to change extension number information, user information and a few other stuff. in that case we ar choosing to do a new install

the second has eveything fine and they are comfortable with how everything is setup. therefore we are just doing a migration.

i havent had much experience in migration thus far other than those two i just mentioned. i was challenged with the same question ( i challenged myself as to what was the best route). i suppose all in all it comes down to how best the system was running before and more importantly how things were designed (Dial plan, route point, user info, etc).

oh and by the way, i always wait till the "new version" is a bit mature before recommending an upgrade. i also look at the features and see discuss with the customer if they really need it or not.

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Patrick,

There is no right or wrong answer here :) Just an "it depends". Some people take this oppotunity to clean up old data and configs and start fresh but I think many more people choose to migrate so everything does not have to be re-built. We have always chosen the migration route fwiw.

I have heard many good things about CCM 7.x but I wouldn't move to it in its first release. From past experience the first release in any train is the most buggy. Wait until the kinks have been worked out before heading down that path. CCM 6.1(2) is very stable now so that would be my vote.

Here is some related info;

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 6.1(1) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_1/upgrd611-pdf.pdf

Cisco CallManager Upgrade Paths and Cisco Unified Communications Product Names

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_tech_note09186a008086cc7c.shtml

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Server Support Matrix

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/voicesw/ps6790/ps5748/ps378/prod_brochure0900aecd8062a4f9.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

If its an old server that is not supported with 6.1, how does the upgrade work then?

Hi Patrick,

Great question!

Even with the new build of CCM 6.x on a new box you can choose the Windows Migration option using the Data Migration Assistant (DMA). Just run the DMA on the old CCM 4.1(3) before you start and it will produce a .tar file that can be used to move the data across to the new version;

Import Windows Data

This option allows you to import database information from a Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x system by using a file that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool produces.

Upgrading the First Cisco Unified Communications Manager Node

When you choose Windows Upgrade, the installation wizard prompts you for the location of the preexisting Windows configuration information that the Data Migration Assistant (DMA) tool created. See the Data Migration Assistant User Guide for more information on the DMA tool.

Step 1 - In the Windows Upgrade window, import data from a Windows version of Cisco Unified Communications Manager by choosing Yes

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob.  Thank you for this answer. I want to ask you a basic question which i wanted to know regd upgrade.

These are the step we have to do when upgrade from 4.x to 7.x

steps

1. Run DMA tools in the 4.x and create the rar file.

2. In the New server( Linux based) , when we run the exe file , it will ask whether fresh or ugrade,

3. we have to select upgrade,

4. it will ask for the rar file, we have to point the rar file which we created from the 4.x

5. then the installation start and finaly it will become 7.x server.

is it correct step, please advice

Regards

Esa

Hi Esa,

Yes, these are the basic steps :) Here is some related CUCM 7.x info and docs;

Using the Data Migration Assistant Generated Configuration File

The Data Migration Assistant generates a configuration file (platformConfig.xml) to facilitate the installation of Cisco Unified Communications Manager first nodes. The configuration file prepopulates several fields during the upgrade, including domain name, IP address, primary DNS, secondary DNS, and NTP server.

The Data Migration Assistant generates the configuration file during the DMA export process. If you choose to store the DMA tar file on a network directory or local directory, DMA stores the platformConfig.xml in the same directory. If you choose to store the DMA tar file on a tape drive, DMA stores the platformConfig.xml in D:/DMA.

To use the configuration file, copy the platformConfig.xml file to a USB key, and place the USB key into the Cisco Unified Communications Manager first node before you boot the server with the Cisco Unified Communications Manager DVD.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Cisco requires that you use USB keys that are compatible with Linux 2.4. Cisco recommends that you use USB keys that are preformatted to be compatible with Linux 2.4 for the configuration file. These keys will have a W95 FAT32 format.

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0(1) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_0_1/upgrd701.html#wp175225">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_0_1/upgrd701.html#wp175225

DMA saves the data that it exports in a tape archive (TAR) file in a location that you specify. DMA also generates a configuration file (platformConfig.xml) to facilitate installation of Cisco Unified Communications Manager first nodes. The configuration file prepopulates several fields during the upgrade, including domain name, IP address, primary DNS, secondary DNS, and NTP server. The Data Migration Assistant generates the configuration file during the DMA export process. If you choose to store the DMA tar file on a network directory or local directory, DMA stores the platformConfig.xml in the same directory. If you choose to store the DMA tar file on a tape drive, DMA stores the platformConfig.xml in D:/DMA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note For information on using the configuration file during an upgrade, refer to the Upgrade to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0(1) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x Releases.

Note Make sure that you copy the platformconfig.xml to the Universal Serial Bus (USB) key and apply this USB to the publisher before the W1 upgrade.

Data Migration Assistant User Guide Release 7.0(1a)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_0_1/dmaug701a.html">http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_0_1/dmaug701a.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Hi Rob. 

It is great help for many of the new people. Thanks for repy with nice info Rob. you are the Hero for IPT.

Regards

Esa

Hey Esa,

You are most welcome my friend! Thanks for your very kind words :)

Cheers!

Rob

I have a quick question regarding licensing for 4.1.3 ----> 7.x.

How do I bring over the licensing. i.e all my phones, devices in my current 4.1.3 to the new 7.x which uses DLUs per device?

I do not want to migrate the data to the new 7.x system immediately. I just want to install a brand new 7.x CCM and then slowly migrate users from the old 4.1.3 to the new system over time.

Can you advise what is the best way to achieve this and how do I deal with the licensing from old system to the new system?

Thanks

Hi John,

You will need to follow this procedure to migrate your phones and receive the new (free) DLU's :)

Here is the License info for CCM 5.x and beyond;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080531ebb.html

Migrating from Cisco CallManager 4.0(x) to 7.0(x)

When you migrate from Cisco CallManager version 4.0(x) to 7.0(x), the licenses that are required for existing phones and existing Cisco CallManager nodes is calculated and an intermediate file (XML file) that contains these license counts will be generated during the Cisco CallManager migration process. These licenses are given free of cost because you are already using these phones for Cisco CallManager version 4.x. If you are provisioning new phones and nodes after migrating to Cisco CallManager 7.0(x), you need to paste the intermediate license file in the License Registration window on CCO.

Use the following procedure to register existing licenses and request for new licenses.

Step 1 In Cisco CallManager Administration, choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Click View File. A pop-up window displays that has the license information for existing phones and nodes. Copy this information. To copy the contents on this windrow, you can use Ctrl-A (Select All) and Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 On the License Registration window of CCO website, in the text box provided, paste the file contents using Ctrl-V.

Step 4 You must enter the MAC address of the Cisco CallManager server that you are requesting the licenses for, and a valid E-mail Id.

Step 5 To obtain the actual license file, click Submit. A license file is generated.

Step 6 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License file" section in the Cisco CallManager Administration Guide. This node takes on the functionality of the license manager.

...continued on next page

...from previous page

Go here;

https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet

Licenses Not Requiring a PAK

If you do not have a Product Authorization Key (PAK), please click here for available licenses. (use the please click here link)

Available licenses include Evaluation/Demo Licenses, Cisco ASA 3DES/AES, PIX Firewall 3DES/AES and DES Encryption, Cisco Services for IPS, and Cisco Unified Communications Manager Version Upgrade licenses.

Go to;

Voice Products

Then select;

Cisco Unified Communications Manager Device Upgrade License

Here is an overview of the previous info;

Watch out for the note detailed in Step #2 below;

Step 1 After you complete the Cisco Unified Communications Manager upgrade process, navigate to Cisco Unified CallManager Administration and choose System > Licensing > License File Upload.

The License File Upload window displays.

Step 2 Choose the license XML file from the Existing Files drop-down list, and click View File. The window refreshes and displays the information for the selected license. Copy all of the information in this file except the HTML tags. To copy the contents on this window, choose the appropriate text and choose Ctrl-C (Copy).

Step 3 Navigate to the License Registration web tool at https://tools.cisco.com/SWIFT/Licensing/PrivateRegistrationServlet

Step 4 Enter the MAC address of the Ethernet 0 NIC of the first node of the Cisco Unified Communications Manager cluster.

Step 5 In the text box that is provided, paste the license file contents that you copied in Step 2 by using the appropriate keyboard shortcuts, such as Ctrl-V.

Step 6 Enter a valid e-mail address and click Continue. A license file generates.

The system sends the license file to you via e-mail using the e-mail address that you provided.

Step 7 You must upload the license file to the server with the matching MAC address that you provided in Step 4. See the "Uploading a License File" section.

Step 8 You can obtain licenses for new devices that you are adding to the upgraded system, if your system requires additional device license units.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/6_1_2/upgrd612.html#wp1495

Have a look at this great tip from Jason;

"when you capture the xml file for the DLUS etc after the upgrade so that you can post it on Cisco's web site, it might be wrapped in HTML. ie the first line and the last line are html, and the license utility will reject it. Remove the first and last line to resolve this."

Here are some other good docs;

Upgrading to Cisco Unified Communications Manager Release 7.0(1) from Cisco Unified Communications Manager 4.x Releases

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/upgrade/7_0_1/upgrd701.html

Data Migration Assistant User Guide Release 7.0(1a)

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/cucm/dma/7_0_1/dmaug701a.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

As many of you know upgrading from CCM4 to CCM5, 6 or 7 you end up losing your pins and passwords. I have an application that I have been developing that will recover these, re-populate the new CUCM version and provide for a more seamless upgrade stopping lots of calls to your helpdesk!!! Email me: help at truecomms.co.uk if you this could really help you (sorry not often in the newsgroups due to time constraints)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: