Views
Helpful
Replies

dedicated bandwith

miskoolak
Level 1
Level 1

Dear all

i have several users type in my office and i provided internet with a 2821 router.

I want to give every user specific bandwith to access internet,

like isa server it has several option to dedicate each user to specific bandwith.

I used with calss of service but as you know its for a group of users and is not dedicated to each user.

any idea pleasE?

2 Replies 2

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

u can match each user or group of users baed on their source IP address if u use DHCP will be harder

lets say u wanna limit the bandwidth to a user with IP 192.168.1.1

access-list 1 permit host 192.168.1.1

class-map map1

match ip adress 1

policy-map policy1

class map1

police 15000 8000 exceed-action drop

interface [internet interface]

service-policy output policy1

and u can make whatever changes to the class map or policy

this is a simpl example

good luck

please, if helpful rate

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Do you want to restrict your users to a maximum bandwidth, guarantee them a minimum bandwidth or both? If restricting your users to a maximum bandwidth, do you want to drop their overspeed traffic or meter it? Also for managing user maximum bandwidths, do you want to allow bandwidth bursting? For the prior, is your concern about user bandwidth to the Internet, from the Internet or both?

As Marwan's post shows, you can configure one CBWFQ class per user, up to the class limit of CBWFQ. If you desire to control bandwidth both to and fromt the Internet, you'll need two active policies. Perhaps either in and out on the same interface, or a policy on mutiple interfaces (e.g. LAN and WAN facing).

PS:

NB:

You can well regulate a user's bandwidth outbound, and control the bandwidth the user actually obtains inbound, but it's very difficult to control actual inbound bandwidth link utilization unless you also control both sides of a link.

For instance, if you have 1 Mbps, and restrict 10 users to 100 Kbps each, doesn't always guarantee each user can obtain their 100 Kbps inbound if you don't control the link's other side. You can, though, insure, each user will never obtain more than 100 Kbps.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: