Views
Helpful
Replies

Unity 4.2 Licensing

mike-greene
Level 4
Level 4

Hi,

I added 25 licenses to our Unity box this weekend. In license manager I see that they were added to the "Subscriber Mailboxes" but the expiration date has me confused. The expiration date of Languages, Message Recording Full Length and Subscriber Mailboxes is set at 10/9/2008. Does this mean that on that date my Unity system will expire and the mailboxes won't work??

Thanks.

10 Replies 10

Rob Huffman
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi Mike,

It does look like these are "time limited" License files which isn't good. Here is what they should look like.

VM Only

INCREMENT LicVMISubscribersMax cisco 4.0 permanent 300 \

UM Sub Licenses

INCREMENT LicUMSubscribersMax cisco 4.0 permanent 7500 \

I would try this step first with an email to;

licensing@cisco.com

Here are the required steps to get a new Unity License (associated to new server's Mac)

Q. If the NIC of a customer fails, how do they receive a replacement license?

A. The licensing team handles switching licenses. Send an email to licensing@cisco.com with the old NIC - Mac address and the NIC - Mac address from the new server. Explain why you want to switch servers. The licensing team deactivates the license associated with the old server and will re-issue it for the new server.

From this Licensing doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps2237/products_qanda_item09186a0080094ce5.shtml#q20

Replacing License Files When Replacing a Cisco Unity Server

To replace the server on which Cisco Unity is installed, you must obtain new license files that will be tied to the NIC in the new computer. Do the following two procedures in the order listed.

To Get the MAC Address of the Replacement Cisco Unity Server

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Step 1 On the replacement computer, on the Windows Start menu, click Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt.

Step 2 In the Command Prompt window, enter ipconfig /all, and press Enter.

Step 3 Write down the value of Physical Address, excluding the hyphens, or save it to a file that you can access during online registration. (For example, if the physical address is 00-A1-B2-C3-D4-E5, record 00A1B2C3D4E5.)

If the server contains more than one NIC, one value will appear for each NIC. Use the value for the primary NIC.

Step 4 Close the Command Prompt window.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To Obtain a Replacement License File

Send an e-mail to licensing@cisco.com with the following information:

A request for a replacement license file.

The MAC address of the current server.

The MAC address of the replacement computer.

A statement that you will delete the Cisco Unity 4.0(x) license from its current computer after the new server is installed.

Within one business day, you will receive the replacement license file attached to an e-mail from licensing@cisco.com.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

So I should be seeing...

INCREMENT LicVMISubscribersMax cisco 4.0 permanent 300 \

in the license viewer or will this be somewhere else on the server?? Sorry if this is a basic question but I'm really new to voice stuff....but learning.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

You are most welcome! You are right on the money my friend. We are all trying to learn here so welcome aboard :)

To Verify the Enabled Features on Cisco Unity 4.0(x) License Files

Step 1 On the Cisco Unity desktop, double-click the Cisco Unity Tools Depot icon.

Step 2 In the left pane of the Tools Depot window, expand Administration Tools.

Step 3 Double-click License Info Viewer.

Step 4 Under Cisco Unity Licensing, click Effective Licenses.

Step 5 In the right pane, confirm that the features you want are listed.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks again Rob.

Yea...I see an expiration date of 10/9/2008..:(

I don't yet know the full history on this Unity box. There are about six or seven license files installed and more then likely no documentation on what they were or why they were installed. Were under SmartNet currently negotiation so I hope this does not turn into a big mess!!

Thanks again for you help.

Hi Mike,

Great stuff! Before you send the email to licensing check one last place to see if the permanent files exist but were not installed somehow;

Location of License Files

We strongly recommend that you keep all license files in the CommServer\Licenses directory on the Cisco Unity server. The directory is where the default license file (CiscoUnity.lic) is located. If you store a license file in a different directory, you can install the license file from that location. However, the Install License File wizard will ask if you want to copy the license file to CommServer\Licenses directory.

From this good doc;

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/voice_ip_comm/unity/white/paper/culicenses.html

Hope this helps!

Rob

Great doc. After looking into each file and talking with my manager, a contractor installed a 90 day 25 license file to cover for a mistake that was made when ordering.

We currently have 250 seats. There is a 25 temp license has a limited date....which is the expiration date I'm seeing. I installed the correct 25 license file this weekend so were really only supposed to have 225 seats. If I remove that temp 25 license file using the wizard will that make me permanent?? The temp license is the only file in my CommServer\license directory thats not permanent.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

You are really only "Temp" for the 25 licenses so not everything would stop in October. You can remove the 90 day License file for the 25 and you should be good to go!

Hope this helps!

Rob

Thanks Rob.

Just so this is clear in my mind... I have two choices.

1. I can leave the temp license installed but when it expires I'll have 225 permanent seats.

2. I can remove it and go permanent on 225 licenses today.

Thanks.

Hi Mike,

No worries my friend! That is exactly how I see it as well.

Hope this helps!

Rob

Great!! Thanks for all your help.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: