How many DMP will be support per DMM?

Answered Question
Sep 1st, 2008

I've a project that will use around 6,000 DMP. Are there any recommendation about how many DMP should be managed per DMM?

I think 3 DMM will be fine with this case. Any advise, i would be appreciate.

I have this problem too.
0 votes
Correct Answer by Charles Little about 8 years 2 months ago

A single DMM should work. I know of two deployments that have as many as 5K DMPs on a single DMM. In my conversations with the engineers they tell me that they have not hit a top end mark yet. The DMM should only be set up to provide command and control of the DMPs which should require little to no load balancing since the command strings for the DMPs are quite small. You should not be planning to place any content on the DMM utilizing it for content serving, even though it will allow you to do this. With 6K DMPs you should take a close look at your content delivery strategy and where the content will be located. Consider using Cisco ACNS/WAAS. This will be your critical application that will balance the flow of video and large content files across the network as not to impact other critical applications. I hope this helps.

Overall Rating: 5 (1 ratings)
Correct Answer
Charles Little Mon, 09/08/2008 - 07:43

A single DMM should work. I know of two deployments that have as many as 5K DMPs on a single DMM. In my conversations with the engineers they tell me that they have not hit a top end mark yet. The DMM should only be set up to provide command and control of the DMPs which should require little to no load balancing since the command strings for the DMPs are quite small. You should not be planning to place any content on the DMM utilizing it for content serving, even though it will allow you to do this. With 6K DMPs you should take a close look at your content delivery strategy and where the content will be located. Consider using Cisco ACNS/WAAS. This will be your critical application that will balance the flow of video and large content files across the network as not to impact other critical applications. I hope this helps.

Actions

This Discussion