cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

IPS 4200 - cascade and increase throughput?

thedinuka
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy an IPS 4255 appliance, but I might need to increase the throughput in the future. Can I add IPS appliances parallel as and when I need higher throughput. Can those multiple appliances work as a single unit and not influence my existing design, when I need to upgrade the IPS throughput. Also, can this be done with any of the models in the 4200 family, interchangeably ?

Lot of questions, sorry if too much

thanks

2 Replies 2

mhellman
Level 7
Level 7

I believe the answer is generally "no" to all your questions. You can only add an appliance "in parallel" if you are able to "route" traffic intelligently. Either way, the sensors would not work "as a single unit" and would most certainly influence the design of your network.

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you have a 6500 switch you can connect multiple devices and load share (not balance) via ECLB, have a look at:

http://www.cisco.com/univercd/cc/td/doc/product/iaabu/csids/csids12/eclbips5.htm

But as Marhew said, there is no 'clustering' technology available to my knowledge which allows a single-IP management functionality. However you can deploy multiple sensors at the same time with Cisco Security Manager (CSM).

Regards

Farrukh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: