Views
Helpful
Replies

Frame-relay traffic shapping question

amitbatra
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys .

i am trying to configure frame-relay traffic shapping on a router with Cir and 1 mb and min cir as 512 k.

but i want routing protocol not to be shaped.

whats the best way of doing this .

any ideas ??

regards

amit

5 Replies 5

sanjay.ccie
Level 1
Level 1

One way to do this is to use MQC-based FRTS.

create an access list permiting whatever you want to shape and deny the rest (default)

create a class map match the ACL

create a policy map use the class and issue the shape commands.

finally use the interface level command service-policy to the interface.

i might have MPLS traffic on this link.

which cannot be matched against an access-list.

any other solution..

Thanks

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Unclear what you're trying to accomplish. When shaping for frame-relay, it makes sense to shape all traffic but it also sometimes makes sense to prioritize traffic within the shaper, such as routing protocol packets. Further, in theory, it also makes sense to insure critical packets, again such as routing protocol packets, don't become DE marked.

In practice, I would suggest first shaping all traffic at either end-to-end minimum port speed or at CIR; either with FQ. Next, prioritize traffic as you desire within the shaped rate. Beyond that it can get rather complex and, I believe, may require cooperation of the frame-relay vendor and/or "very smart" network equipement.

Hi Mate,

Thanks for your reply. well all i am trying to do is shape all traffic which includes mpls, and IP traffic . but i want to exclude my routing protocol traffic from this shaping. my routing protocol is RIP.

i hope its clear .

Regards

Yes it's clear what you want to do, still unclear why. Your routing protocol traffic, e.g. RIP, within the shaper, can be prioritized, or have guaranteed bandwidth, vs. other traffic. On the frame-relay's physical interface, you just shape non-RIP traffic, but then you need to insure doesn't use bandwidth needed by RIP.

logical examples:

what you want:

policy-map CBWFQ

class RIP

class class-default

shape # (bandwidth less what's reserved for RIP)

better approach

policy-map CBWFQ_child

class RIP

priority percent 25

policy-map CBWFQ_Parent

class class-default

shape # (total for end-to-end path or CIR)

service-policy CBWFQ_Child

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: