Views
Helpful
Replies

Unknown Device Event Type from a router

joe.favia
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I just included my first router within the reporting devices and decided to take a look at the raw events coming in to the MARS. To my surprise I see just two types of events :

- Generic IOS syslog

- Unknown Device Event Type

This second one looks like SNMP because every message begins with "SNMPv2-SMI::enterprises." and seems to contain OIDs and data. Is this normal or am I having some kind of problem? The syslog messages seem to be interpreted correctly; in fact they generated a few incidents when there were some problems on one of the interfaces. I'm worried that the SNMP messages (traps?) are not being understood.

Thanks for your help,

Joe

2 Replies 2

Farrukh Haroon
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

The MARS guide does not mention sending SNMP traps from routers to the box, there is no need for it. You have to send syslog or netflow or both.

Regards

Farrukh

Yes, I realize that. Unfortunately I don't have access to the router and I'll have to ask what has been configured. I was wondering why MARS sees this data as raw events, if indeed they are SNMP traps. Does MARS listen on port 162 UDP?

Thanks,

Joe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: