Views
Helpful
Replies

Advice on hardware for QUAD ADSL Bonding

marioderosa2008
Level 1
Level 1

Hi all....

I need to accomodate for 4 ADSL line bonded together and then one FastEthernet output to the rest of the LAN.

Its a small to medium sized network so the router does not need to be high spec i wouldn't have thought.

Any recommendations of cisco kit that can do this?

6 Replies 6

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Mario,

if you have also a LAN switch with trunking capabilities you can also think to use 4 external ADSL modems with ethernet interface and to use a router with two FE.

The FE towards the WAN will have four subifs on vlan 10,20,30,40 for example and the corresponding ADSL ethernet will be in vlan 10,20,30,40 respectively.

Otherwise you need a chassis that can host 4 ADSL WIC / HWIC and you may be need a 1841.

or more:

Modular slots for HWICs

Two

see http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps5853/product_data_sheet0900aecd8016a59b.html

with 2 FE you can find some 2651XM or the 1841 itself

HWIC-1ADSL

see

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/routers/ps221/product_data_sheet0900aecd8028aa5a_ps5853_Products_Data_Sheet.html

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Hi Guiseppe, thanks for the reply,

with the VLAN trunking method using a LAN switch, how would the lines be bonded? would you just set 4 default routes? one to point to each ADSL modem?

Hello Mario,

yes 4 default routes each pointing to an ADSL modem.

the key is to use 4 different vlans to separate each ADSL modem.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Nice one thanks...

which of the two would you say is more reliable, if money was not an issue?

Hello Mario,

if money was not an issue:

I would use two routers with 2 ADSL HWICs each and GLBP to load balance that would be a fault tolerant design.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

thank you very much for the advice Giuseppe.

Will keep this open until i have tested this new solution.

thanks again guys.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card