cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

What is a Queue in Cisco IPCC environment?

bhaskar27in
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

I am looking for a definition of a Queue in the Cisco environment.

Thank You,

-Bhaskar

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

In IPCC enterprise the queue is a logical concept. It's not like an ACD queue at all.

Think of it this way. If a call comes in on an Avaya which requests an adjunct route (host based route) and you don't answer this immediately but wait, you could order the requests and responses and produce your own queue. Do you have an ACD queue? - no.

When a call is queued in IPCC, the call is parked somewhere (IP IVR, CVP) and the Router is looking for the best target. The call is not queued in ICM.

Regards,

Geoff

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Chris Deren
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Queuing is a concept that is used in inbound call centers. Call centers utilize an Automatic Call Distributor (ACD) to distribute incoming calls to specific resources (agents) in the center. ACDs are capable of holding queued calls in First In, First Out order until agents become available. From the caller's perspective, without queuing he or she has only two choices when faced with a queue: wait until an agent resource becomes available, or abandon (hang up) and try to call again later. From the call center's perspective, a long queue can result in many abandoned calls, repeat attempts, and customer dissatisfaction.

Cisco's queuing is no different than above, depending on product IPCC Express vs Enterprise you have different algorithms for selecing an appropriate agent, i.e. longest idle, most skilled, least skilled, etc.

HTH, please rate all useful posts!

Chris

In IPCC enterprise the queue is a logical concept. It's not like an ACD queue at all.

Think of it this way. If a call comes in on an Avaya which requests an adjunct route (host based route) and you don't answer this immediately but wait, you could order the requests and responses and produce your own queue. Do you have an ACD queue? - no.

When a call is queued in IPCC, the call is parked somewhere (IP IVR, CVP) and the Router is looking for the best target. The call is not queued in ICM.

Regards,

Geoff

you could order the requests and responses and produce your own queue

huh? Its queing for a resource group to send the call to. I think. So it is a que and if an agent hangs up the call will go to that agent. call comes in, check agents aval= 0, then go to que ie MOH

Is that wrong?

I am sorry I don't follow your reponse/argument, can you elaborate?

In my previous response by saying ACD I attmepting to be generic and by ACD I meant the IPCC/IVR combo, which in UCCX world is the same, hence my comment about UCCE vc UCCX distinction.

Chris

No. I agree with you.queing is waiting for an avalable agent to accept the call.It was Geoffs explanation that i was not comprehending.

>you could order the requests and responses and produce your own queue. huh?

Of course. The HP Smart Router in HP's old call center product worked exactly this way. Adjunct route requests from a TDM switch were sorted logically and when an suitable agent was chosen, some time later, the agent's phone was returned as the answer to the host based route request. A queue is produced, but it's just logic.

I don't know what the rest of your comments mean. I was saying that queuing in IPCC is not like an ACD queue in a traditional TDM switch.

Regards,

Geoff

Cderen, Geoff and Safety 2008,

Thanks you all for participating in this discussion ralted to this topic. I fell more educated.

Kudos to you!!!

-Bhaskar

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: