Views
Helpful
Replies

Switch 2924 Issues

sainttm606
Level 1
Level 1

Hello All,

Im having a heck of a time trying to get the switch working for the lab i purchased off eBay. Its likely that the switch may be faulty, its seen better days.

I have been trying to get the latest IOS on the switch, as theres alot of features not available in the current IOS version.

I get the below error for trying to copy the IOS file from the tftp server to the flash of the switch.

DWSW1#copy tftp: flash:

Address or name of remote host [192.168.2.200]?

Source filename [c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin]?

Destination filename [c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin]?

Accessing tftp://192.168.2.200/c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin...

%Error opening tftp://192.168.2.200/c2900xl-c3h2l9s-mz.120-5.WC17.bin (Timed out)

Is there any way I can get the file to the switch, im not sure if the fault with the switch is user error, there also appears to be a problem trying to telnet onto the switch but I have setup the VLAN and vty ports for telnet and it will ping them, just not connect.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

branfarm1
Level 4
Level 4

This is a somewhat obvious question, but still must be asked: Do you have the Vlan1 interface on the switch configured to be in the same subnet as the host you are trying to tftp from?

Also, do you have your tftp server set to the right mode, (Send, receive, or send/receive), and is the firewall open on the host you're running the tftp server on?

glen.grant
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

If you are trying to do this on your laptop then make sure both the vlan1 interface and your pc are in the same 192.168 address space and disable the windows firewall if its running or any other soft firewall . From the switch can you ping the tftp server ? I don't see where there is a problem the switch looks like it is sitting at the hostname prompt which it should be . If you are pinging and trying to telnet off the subnet the switch is on then the default gateway must also be defined in the 2924. The message you are seeing usually means no path to the tftp server or incorrect permissions allowing access.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card