How Can I "Physically" Integrate MHSRP or GLBP?

Unanswered Question
Sep 2nd, 2008

I have an edge router with a few serial, ISDN and a T1 hanging off of it. I want to put a second router online and enable MHSRP or GLBP. I can't seem to see how I could bring a second router online unless I deploy an inline switch but that would leave me a single point of failure. Any ideas?

Overall Rating: 2 (2 ratings)
Calin Chiorean Wed, 09/03/2008 - 00:35

Hi there!

Sorry but I don't understand what you want to do (maybe others don't understand too, because there are no answers here).

You have a router (R1, the existing one) and you want to add another router (let's say R2) and you connect them together via an ethernet line. Than you can do a L3 HSRP or GLBP between them.

You have below a sample config with HSRP:

R1:

interface GigabitEthernetx/y

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.248

duplex auto

speed auto

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.1

standby 1 priority 110

standby 1 preempt

R2:

interface GigabitEthernetx/y

ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.248

duplex auto

speed auto

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.1

and use the standby ip for all the communications.

Sorry if I didn't understood what do you need.

Cheers,

Calin

Joseph W. Doherty Wed, 09/03/2008 - 03:38

Ideas to avoid single point of failure, yes. For your switch, you use one that offers redundancy, e.g. chassis with multiple line card blades and reduncant components; or reduncancy via. stack of switches, e.g. 3750/3750-E series; or two switches that are interconnected. If the latter, you might have access/edge switchs with an uplink to each "core" switch, and run spanning tree. (NB: you often still have single point of failure at the edge, but that can be addressed with multiple links from hosts to different edge switches or blades on a chassis.)

Actions

This Discussion