cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How Can I "Physically" Integrate MHSRP or GLBP?

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

I have an edge router with a few serial, ISDN and a T1 hanging off of it. I want to put a second router online and enable MHSRP or GLBP. I can't seem to see how I could bring a second router online unless I deploy an inline switch but that would leave me a single point of failure. Any ideas?

2 Replies 2

Calin C.
Level 5
Level 5

Hi there!

Sorry but I don't understand what you want to do (maybe others don't understand too, because there are no answers here).

You have a router (R1, the existing one) and you want to add another router (let's say R2) and you connect them together via an ethernet line. Than you can do a L3 HSRP or GLBP between them.

You have below a sample config with HSRP:

R1:

interface GigabitEthernetx/y

ip address 1.1.1.2 255.255.255.248

duplex auto

speed auto

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.1

standby 1 priority 110

standby 1 preempt

R2:

interface GigabitEthernetx/y

ip address 1.1.1.3 255.255.255.248

duplex auto

speed auto

standby 1 ip 1.1.1.1

and use the standby ip for all the communications.

Sorry if I didn't understood what do you need.

Cheers,

Calin

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Ideas to avoid single point of failure, yes. For your switch, you use one that offers redundancy, e.g. chassis with multiple line card blades and reduncant components; or reduncancy via. stack of switches, e.g. 3750/3750-E series; or two switches that are interconnected. If the latter, you might have access/edge switchs with an uplink to each "core" switch, and run spanning tree. (NB: you often still have single point of failure at the edge, but that can be addressed with multiple links from hosts to different edge switches or blades on a chassis.)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card