cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will This Serial to Ethernet Device Work with a HWIC Router?

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

I have ONE serial cable which I want to connect to TWO 7600 routers running GLBP for redundancy and load balancing. Will this thing work with a Cisco HWIC in a Cisco Router? See attached document.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matthew,

I've given a look at the document: I don't think it can work with a Cisco Router unless trying to remotize the AUX port.

This kind of device is thought to provide a virtualization over IP of one or more serial connections.

See:

Device servers and terminal servers represent the segment of product also known as serial-to-IP converters, which essentially

allow any device with a serial port to communicate with an application across an IP network.

but serial ports here async serial like RS-232 or RS-485, the usual serial interface on a router is of sync mode follows other standards and what is more important it usually has already an IP address configured on it.

An object like the following:

Product Summary

RAD's RIC-E1 serial interface converter and RIC-T1 serial interface converter offer conversion between E1 or T1 interfaces and standard data communications interfaces, including V.35, X.21, V.36, and RS-530, as well as Fast Ethernet, Ethernet bridge or an IP router. The modular design allows for simple interchanging of the interfaces.

at http://www.rad.com/Article/0,6583,37468-E1_Serial_Interface_or_T1_Serial_Interface_Converter,00.html

This could be a better fit for your needs.

However, I would consider using LAN subifs on the Cisco router before using one of these boxes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card