cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Will This Serial to Ethernet Device Work with a HWIC Router?

mlenco
Level 1
Level 1

I have ONE serial cable which I want to connect to TWO 7600 routers running GLBP for redundancy and load balancing. Will this thing work with a Cisco HWIC in a Cisco Router? See attached document.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Matthew,

I've given a look at the document: I don't think it can work with a Cisco Router unless trying to remotize the AUX port.

This kind of device is thought to provide a virtualization over IP of one or more serial connections.

See:

Device servers and terminal servers represent the segment of product also known as serial-to-IP converters, which essentially

allow any device with a serial port to communicate with an application across an IP network.

but serial ports here async serial like RS-232 or RS-485, the usual serial interface on a router is of sync mode follows other standards and what is more important it usually has already an IP address configured on it.

An object like the following:

Product Summary

RAD's RIC-E1 serial interface converter and RIC-T1 serial interface converter offer conversion between E1 or T1 interfaces and standard data communications interfaces, including V.35, X.21, V.36, and RS-530, as well as Fast Ethernet, Ethernet bridge or an IP router. The modular design allows for simple interchanging of the interfaces.

at http://www.rad.com/Article/0,6583,37468-E1_Serial_Interface_or_T1_Serial_Interface_Converter,00.html

This could be a better fit for your needs.

However, I would consider using LAN subifs on the Cisco router before using one of these boxes.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card