Views
Helpful
Replies

How to test my stm1 link effectively?

chris.lau
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I have a STM1 link connected to the 4-port POS-OC3-SM-IR+ module.

Can I know how to do test the link? Just a normal ping test? Is there any preferred ping test pattern to test the link stability?

Thanks

2 Replies 2

bagvanliju
Level 1
Level 1

Hai,

Please mention what is the issue you are facing ..like latancy,crc errors etc ....Its better to inform service provider to test the link ...Using STM tester ..that would solve the issue ...(Ping test wont be the best solution ...)

HTH

Lijesh.N.C

hi,

1. You can try "iperf"

2. GUI for same is "jperf"

3. You can decide the packet size , transfer huge data, it shows the transfer rate,graph.

4.It is client server utility , iperf will

come in DOS,LINUX flavours.

5.jperf uses iperf

6.I am not sure whether "iperf" it gives dropped packets, for dropped packets you can use "pingplotter" GUI tool , hop by hop real time graph.

7.If link is new , get it tested from service provider ask them to send the reports.

Normally service provider test the link for stress testing before commissioning , using sophisticated tools like BERT tester etc.

8.if you don't want to use any tool, just do the huge data transfer across link , by connecting laptops at both ends of the link and assigning IP addresses to laptops i n same subnet , see the transfer rate.

HTH..rate if helpful..

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card