cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

QOS on DS3 to Ethernet backbone, MPLS needed?

nolan.bilgera
Level 1
Level 1

I don't have much knowledge on MPLS, but I have a scenario and need some help.

We are going to use an existing Microwave Network that consists of 20 hub sites configured in a ring topology and one of the DS3 channels to transport Ethernet traffic (with the help of media converters). My question is if we wanted QOS (Quality of Service) and wanted to prioritize voice traffic over data, do we really need MPLS? Will MPLS improve the performance of the already existing DiffServ Architecture defined by RFC2475, or does MPLS mearly just support DiffServ Architecture as defined in RFC3270?

Please help me out in answering my questions so we don't venture into technology we don't really need to support our customer.

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi Nolan

let me clearify things to u

MPLS is a technology that used to make forwarding faster instead of forwarding packets based on routing table with MPLS the packet will be forwarded based on label switching which is faster easpecially for service provider networks

QoS is a mechnizem for bandwidth managment

so they both completely diffrent

and about DSCP it is the bits on the TOS ip header that used to mark traffic

while with mpls network the marking will be based on mpls exp which is not DSCP

so they are not related at all but work and coexist together in other words u can impliment MPLS with QOS but not MPLS implimented to imporve QOS or VOIP !!

so if u look only for QoS and voice priority then u dont need MPLS

good luck

if helpful Rate

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Marwan ALshawi
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

hi Nolan

let me clearify things to u

MPLS is a technology that used to make forwarding faster instead of forwarding packets based on routing table with MPLS the packet will be forwarded based on label switching which is faster easpecially for service provider networks

QoS is a mechnizem for bandwidth managment

so they both completely diffrent

and about DSCP it is the bits on the TOS ip header that used to mark traffic

while with mpls network the marking will be based on mpls exp which is not DSCP

so they are not related at all but work and coexist together in other words u can impliment MPLS with QOS but not MPLS implimented to imporve QOS or VOIP !!

so if u look only for QoS and voice priority then u dont need MPLS

good luck

if helpful Rate

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: