Views
Helpful
Replies

asdm location command after upgrade

AndyWaldoz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Before running firmware asa722-k8.bin and asdm-522.bin ASDM "asdm location" config lines were created when we created a network object.

After the upgrade to asa722-k8.bin and asdm-522.bin this dissapeared.

We recently upgraded to asa724-k8.bin and asdm-524.bin which brought those config lines back.

So could anyone tell me if "asdm location" is needed, if not can we make sure those lines wont pollute the config file?

grts,

AWa

3 Replies 3

andrew.prince
Level 10
Level 10

The ASDM location config does not interfere with any "critical" config in the ASA - they are merely pointers for the ASDM to place in the correct locations for network objects when you perform configuration thru the ASDM GUI.

g.meerkoetter
Level 1
Level 1

I'm pretty sure you need those asdm commands if you are using ASDM.

But I think this is a mess and it's time to clean it up. IMHO trying to hide parts of the configuration is an insane concept. It will always cause confusion (see AndyWaldoz' post) and other ill effects.

For instance I keep getting reports from LMS telling me that my FWSM's startup/running config are out of sync. This is caused by the fact that the ASDM commands are only hidden when using "show running".

Is anybody listening who may get this fixed?

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/security/asa/asa70/command/reference/ab.html#wp1345787

asdm location

Caution Do not manually configure this command. ASDM adds asdm location commands to the running configuration and uses them for internal communication. This command is included in the documentation for informational purposes only.
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card