Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

How to change custom name for tftp startup config

Hi,

Is there any way of setting custom default tftp startup config name? At the moment I'm getting;

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisconet.cfg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisco1720-confg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/network-confg (Timed out)

%Error opening tftp://255.255.255.255/cisco172.cfg (Timed out)

so not network-confg,cisconet.cfg,cisco1720-confg,cisco172.cfg but let's say myroutercfg

so when the router boots it looks for startup config at;

tftp://255.255.255.255/myrouercfg

Thanks very much for your help

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Your error messages are displaed due to the "service config" command in your configuration file. Under normal circumstances you do not need this and can safely remove the command (via "no service config") and the "%Error opening ..." messages will not be displayed any more (also the boot process will finish earlier). Provided you do need external configuration files during boot(e.g. for autoinstall) you can just add either "boot host" or "boot network" command like this: boot host tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/myroutercfg.

Best regards,

Antonin

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

amikat
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

Your error messages are displaed due to the "service config" command in your configuration file. Under normal circumstances you do not need this and can safely remove the command (via "no service config") and the "%Error opening ..." messages will not be displayed any more (also the boot process will finish earlier). Provided you do need external configuration files during boot(e.g. for autoinstall) you can just add either "boot host" or "boot network" command like this: boot host tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/myroutercfg.

Best regards,

Antonin

hey,

thanks for reply

I was more thinking towards

Changing configuration register to 0x2142

*Ignores break

*Boots into ROM if initial boot fails

*9600 console baud rate

*Ignores NVRAM

but I still can't figure out how to tell it to look for tftp startup config...

Tomas

I believe that you will be very disappointed if you change the config register to 0x2142 and I suggest that you not do this.

I believe that you can achieve what you want to have the router read its config file from a tftp server if you use this command:

boot host tftp

be aware that this requires network access to the tftp server at the time that the router boots.

Give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Thanks, this works;

boot host tftp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/myroutercfg

provided there's already some sort of startup config present on the router with network configuration

Tomas

Thank you for posting back to the thread and indicating that you got it to work and how you got it to work. It makes the forum more useful when people can read a question and can also read a successful solution to the question.

The forum is an excellent place to learn about Cisco networking. I encourage you to continue your participation in the forum.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: